Calipers, a feature I didn't knew

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decades using calipers and a few days ago I was told about something I didn't knew.
What do you do when you need to measure a piece height thats over a table for example, you use the little bar that sticks out from the end of the caliper.
Well, there is a better way that most of the modern calipers have, photos speak for themselves.

wTeEoiW.jpg

IiGJKnh.jpg

8NQJrbT.jpg

The caliper on the left is an old TESA, it does not have this feature, I was told that ETALON was the first one that introduced this capability in the 70's.
oqMDST5.jpg

Pablo

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yes, that is a handy feature. I use it often.

The advantage of using the back of the head over using the little depth gage bar is that the end is flat and broad and so you don't have problems with readings that are too long due to tilting the caliper. I think of it as a height gage.

All you have to do to that Tesa is to measure the offset and add that mentally to the height each time.

Daniel

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Yup, great feature. I use that on my Mitus often when chucking stock, I place it up against the jaw face.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
After 30+ years doing it as a hobby, and some time in a pro shop, and I never knew that. Thanks!

punkassbob

Newly Enlightened
Interesting to know as I work in calibration lab and we do check that measurement is in specification but not many people knew about it.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting to know as I work in calibration lab and we do check that measurement is in specification but not many people knew about it.

Cool to know, do you do calibration for hardness testers? after a lot of pain I calibrated mine to a point Im satisfied, but you may have insight on better procedures or more checkpoints.

Pablo