Protected 16340s for M6 MB20

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this head which perfectly fits with M6. Though I'm using it with Lumens Factory's host Seraph SP-9 and M adaptor for now, it will be an excellent parts for M6.

However, Lumens Factory will not accept orders until May 20.
Ya I saw that. I've been waiting to get an e2 lamp and a couple m6 lamps. Guess I'll get a head too. Too bad they're black

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Oooof about the Lexan. Someone crafty could probably cut and fit a new one for you but I don't know if the KT4 lens generation you have is press-fit or held in with a threaded retainer. I'm kicking myself for not bringing up the lexan lens issue while I was so caught up in the purple MN20 issue. It's why I never ran my N62s for more than 20-30s at a time in my 12PM with it's similarly lexan-lensed SRTH. Not that the primary lithium cells liked it much either...

Well I guess I don't need to worry about which cells fit my light anymore……
Well I still wanna know how the Xtar cells fit!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
XTAR cells fit great. In the mb20, in an A2, and a 3 flats e2e. They measure 840mah as well. Not bad.
That's all good. I did not need a warning. I knew the lexan lens could melt if such a situation happened. I just did not mean for that situation to happen. I had the tail cap too close to being onas I like it having the pressure sensitive button. My fault. There's no threaded retaining ring. I don't know what holds it in so it must be press fit. Even the reflector is bubbled up in small bubbles. Must've gotten really hot

Last edited:

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
I'm really glad about the Xtar 850s though. Sounds like they'll comfortably fit (figuratively and literally) the niche I was hoping the Nitecore NL169s would.

Yeah, accidental activations happen. I melted one lens myself on a generic-ish G&P 12V light probably 17-19 years ago now that I think about it. That was when my switch lockout paranoia really started to blossom.
Even the reflector is bubbled up in small bubbles. Must've gotten really hot
Were you running the MN21? It's famously hot with a current draw of just a hair under 5 amps on fresh cells. I love it for those qualities because it's comically absurd.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really glad about the Xtar 850s though. Sounds like they'll comfortably fit (figuratively and literally) the the niche I was hoping the Nitecore NL169s would.

Yeah, accidental activations happen. I melted one lens myself on a generic-ish G&P 12V light probably 17-19 years ago now that I think about it. That was when my switch lockout paranoia really started to blossom.

Were you running the MN21? It's famously hot with a current draw of just a hair under 5 amps on fresh cells. I love it for those qualities because it's comically absurd.
I'd love to try the mn21. Mine is burned out. It's an mn20. One of the old purple base ones. But some good news. I contacted surefire. I was honest with what happened. They found a spare head and they're shipping it out to me

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to try the mn21. Mine is burned out. It's an mn20. One of the old purple base ones. But some good news. I contacted surefire. I was honest with what happened. They found a spare head and they're shipping it out to me
Nice, I can't get them to replace anything these days. Maybe they are putting some new effort into old parts. I'm surprised they still have any of those old heads in stock. If they knew the market, they could make a limited "vintage" line and I'm sure it would sell fine as long as quality was on par with the old lights.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, I can't get them to replace anything these days. Maybe they are putting some new effort into old parts.
Ya I'm not sure. They said it has a bit of wear to the ano but a good lens. Maybe I just got the cs representative on a good day. I couldn't believe it either. Especially for such an old light

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I'm not sure. They said it has a bit of wear to the ano but a good lens. Maybe I just got the cs representative on a good day. I couldn't believe it either. Especially for such an old light
Hmm... well better than nothing I guess. I wonder where they had it hiding then. lol. Hope it works good for you.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... well better than nothing I guess. I wonder where they had it hiding then. lol. Hope it works good for you.
Ya For sure. I was going to go with a Lumens factory head. I'm sure it's very good as well, but at least this this is still a surefire one. Don't know whether I'm going to be getting a flat or crenulated bezel though. Hopefully flat with a glass lens and barely perceptible wear😁

I mean this was 100% my fault so you're not gonna hear any complaining from me

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the MN21 a lot, but currently I'm running a custom setup with an MN60 and three 17670's. It's brighter than the MN20 I believe.

The MN21 is brighter, but sucks the batteries dry really quick, and the brightness goes down as well really fast. When I used an M6 in the past in tactical situations I always tried to have a spare battery carrier on me with fresh batteries.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the MN21 a lot, but currently I'm running a custom setup with an MN60 and three 17670's. It's brighter than the MN20 I believe.

The MN21 is brighter, but sucks the batteries dry really quick, and the brightness goes down as well really fast. When I used an M6 in the past in tactical situations I always tried to have a spare battery carrier on me with fresh batteries.
Ya I've heard of using the mn60. Using 3 lithium ions must be hard on it though. I've found even the mn20 too bright for my needs and wish I could find an mn15. Still fun though. If I need long run time bright incandescent, I just use my mag light with 21700 and a tad custom 350 lumen bulb

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it handles it well, but it flashed an MN61. I use that or the Magcharger around here usually. Sometimes a 9N.