Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what SureFire says
Most likely he asks to do as in the topic about Malkoff's runtime or McGizmo some years ago to understand the behavior as the battery discharges. I would also be interested in seeing.

1644017256064.png

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks. I emailed a surefire dealer about getting an amber version, and they said they weren't able to order it. Weird.
It seems all the Aviators are on a constant back order, red being the least affected. Possibly a supply chain issue. There are some online retailers who appear to have them in stock.

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks. Has anybody been using RCR123 long term?
I've read in this forum that RCR123 at 3.7V is not officially supported, but SureFire CS has strongly implied that it will be ok. There are users who have also reported they had no issues. I've used them short term without any problems.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I've read in this forum that RCR123 at 3.7V is not officially supported, but SureFire CS has strongly implied that it will be ok. There are users who have also reported they had no issues. I've used them short term without any problems.
Ok thats good to hear. Do you own one of the aviators? Any long term opinions on it?

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thats good to hear. Do you own one of the aviators? Any long term opinions on it?
I have the red and amber. The red one is the most recent variant, twist to change color. The amber is an earlier generation, pull and twist to change color. Externally they look identical aside front "Red" vs "Amber" marked on the head. I like them both, really nice form factor and my preferred light to bring when I travel because it's really two lights in one. Turning on to low first is really nice for EDC, especially night use.

Actually, I'm planning to sell my red one if you're interested.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you found any good uses for the yellow-green color? Hows that color do at night attracting bugs?
I quite like the yellow/green. I find it easier to actually see than red as I'm still able to differentiate colours for the most part and spatial perception seems much better also. It's still easy on the eyes and pretty decent for dark adapted vision considering the brightness (even on low) but nowhere near as good as deep red in that regard.

I'm generally around plenty of bugs anyway but I don't think you'd notice any perceptible difference in bug attraction or deterrence.

IMG_5896.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for interest sake here's a 660nm red (diffused lens) vs the Aviator 568nm yellow/green.
These two beam shapes aren't apples to apples and likely neither is the output but might be worth a look anyway.

Junk room under the stairs.

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

Side by side.

IMG_6312.jpeg

Individual.

IMG_6313.jpeg

IMG_6314.jpeg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
What works best for diffusion material on the Aviator that's easily removed?
The stuff I used on the red light above was some kind of sports tape that has a cross hatched faceted kind of look, works really well.
Plain old frosted Scotch tape works well. Give that a try.