swaping out LED's with IR ones

redleg318

Newly Enlightened
Greetings to all! I am on a quest, a quest that has frustrated me to no end. My knowledge of LED's is limited so that adds to it all. I have learned that in order to ask a decent question, one must have some sort of basic knowledge on the subject to begin with, so with that in mind please bear with me.
I purchased a 36 LED Solar Security Light from harbor freight. I would like to remove the installed LED's and replace them with IR LED's . Can this be done, and if so any input as to the replacement LED's would make my journey into madness a less painful one! I have been wondering about power consumption and heat dissipation. The solar part is not that big of a deal as I can just use a car battery and charge it from a bigger solar panel.
I have noticed that this forum is mainly about flashlights, so not sure you deal with this type of lighting, but while I have you here… if I have an LED flashlight can I just replace the LED's in it with IR ones?
Is there some good reading I can do on LED's in this line of manipulation of devices? I thank all for any input on this.

evo

Newly Enlightened
can I ask what you would be using it for ? and is it being used for distance or wide angled work

redleg318

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I want to see how much of an area it would light up in a down pattern. Plan on adjusting height to see what is the best. It sure seems that no one is swapping out LED's, at least in this kind of configuration. Guess it is time to go to school again!!

MichaelKelley

Newly Enlightened
The Swaping LED specs are above, 60 degree, 850nm wavelength 5mm IR LEDs.
Disassembly Is fairly straightforward, the rubber gasket around the IR and forward LEDs just pull off.

redleg318

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the reply Michael. You mention the specs are above…above what? As to exchange of the Led's… just unsolder, and insert IR led's, making sure they go in the right way. Will the power draw be the same? Thanks, John