2200K Edison LED PIR Vacancy Sensor Project Help

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, all!

Been a little while and am stopping by with a question.

My dad and I had a nice father/son project over the summer where we installed a five minute vacancy/occupancy sensor in a two-gang electrical box, with the motion sensor on the right, and the two-outlet duplex on the left.

I bought a rope/hemp AC string with three E26 bulb sockets on it.

The first batch of bulbs I bought were 9W LED bulbs at probably 2700K, designed to approximate a traditional 75W incandescent. Everything worked great with the 27W load, with the bulbs diligently turning on when I walked by, and turning off five minutes later. Unfortunately, I found they were blindingly glaring, way overkill for walking to the fridge for a snack or beverage, or opening the door when entering.

Instead, I purchased three 1W simulated Edison LED bulbs at an absolutely cozy 2200K and 100 lumens apiece. They are just gorgeous, and at 1W draw, what's not to love?

Unfortunately, there isn't enough load for the PIR occupancy sensor to work, and I am bummed out.

Questions as Follows:

1) I know that 27W draw—three 9W simulated Edison LED bulbs—is enough for the sensor to function properly. Can anyone here recommend either:

a) A dummy load of around 20W I can plug into the second outlet which will make the sensor happy,

*or*,

b) An actual load of around 20W which won't overheat or burn up which will make the sensor happy,

*or*,

c) An incandescent Edison bulb of between eight and 15W between 100 and 130 lumens (and here is the tricky part) which is also 2200K...?

I can't remember which CPF'er it was who had it in their signature, but it read "Bright, small, longlasting; choose two." In that vein, I can find two of the above, i.e., proper lumens and power draw but not 2200K, or 2200K and proper power draw but *way* too bright, etc.

I went to Lowe's yesterday and picked up some 25W tapered chandelier incandescents, but 75W is way more than I need, and they are likely 2700K, and I also picked up some 11W small bulbs, which don't specify the lumens, and are again likely 2700K.

➡ Please, does anyone here have a suggestion?

Thank you!

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of one or small number of bright loads, perhaps a string of 1W filament LEDs, often used for outdoor patios? It still sounds like more light than you need but spread out more. Not sure what are options for 2200K though. Otherwise a dummy load would just burn it up as heat, not much point having LEDs.

Dave

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Dave! :)

I got frustrated trying different combos of LED bulbs which sent the relay in the occupancy sensor into a tizzy of switching on and off to the point I smelled burning from the arcing inside the relay.

I picked up three 11W 5,000 hour bulbs rated at 80 lumens apiece at 2700K and I am going to go that route.

I will lose the glorious low CCT but 33W isn't that bad and they will work properly.

I may be an LEDAdd1ct but I am not beyond appreciating incandescence done well! :)

Last edited: