519A school

Wicked870

Newly Enlightened
Can someone give me the full run down on the 519A? It seems to be unbelievably popular and I'm interested to learn more about it. I've never swapped an emitter before, but I think it would be awesome to possibly throw one in my elzetta alpha. I also could possibly throw it in a charlie, I have a few but one I'd be willing to do it with if it would work I'm still not sure.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
@jon_slider
You are the most qualified here to expound on the 519A. I do not remember what thread here on CPF was the most informative regarding that LED. We have 3 flashlights using it (one is dedomed) and are satisfied. We are getting a 719A soon hopefully in post office today from Hank (first ever 21700 cell as well).

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone give me the full run down on the 519A? It seems to be unbelievably popular and I'm interested to learn more about it. I've never swapped an emitter before, but I think it would be awesome to possibly throw one in my elzetta alpha. I also could possibly throw it in a charlie, I have a few but one I'd be willing to do it with if it would work I'm still not sure.
Change it and don't be afraid, the result will be great

There are a couple of useful photos here - you unscrew the star, unsolder the wires and install the same star with the required diode

In Alpha it looks like a 16-17 mm LED board

photo from this review

I've put in a 519A into my Alpha. Be aware that the board might be epoxied to the shelf. Mine required a significant amount of heat from a soldering iron to soften the glue so the board could be pulled out. That was the hard part; reflowing it was straightforward.

Here's my dedomed emitter in the Alpha.

IMG_2321.jpeg

Wicked870

Newly Enlightened
Would doing this affect the resilience of this light at all? Durability wise? What gains do you see besides color compared to the stock LED? What even IS the stock LED? My interest is piqued now....

Would doing this affect the resilience of this light at all? Durability wise? What gains do you see besides color compared to the stock LED? What even IS the stock LED? My interest is piqued now....
Theoretically the heat to loosen the board may affect the potting. But at this point the warranty is voided and I'm not too worried about durability as the driver sits below the shelf and completely in the potting (nowhere for it to go). The beam from the sm453 is beautiful. No idea what the stock emitter is, but it was dome-less I believe.

Is there more or less candela after this swap?
The throw increased after I removed the dome. Even though the beam was nice with the dome, the optic made it too floody. Once de-domed, the beam matched that of the stock emitter (throw did not increase over stock) and now is pretty much identical to a stock Alpha, but all high CRI (about 3200K for mine).

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard is Cree XP-L HD ( at least in the version that I held in my hands, maybe now they changed it to XP-L HI ), gives more lumens than 519a, I can't say about candela. If you need candelas, then it is better to use Osram. This one gives both power and a good range, but need to play with the position of the diode on the board, since it is 3030 in size. I managed to stuff it into Noctigon KR1 and it gives a narrow beam and a lot of candelas, but color rendition will be even worse than the standard emitter and much worse than 519a
the substance around the diode is rosin, it is passive and I was too lazy to wash it off

1706906383653.png

Latest posts