6 Volt Dorcy Luminator 41-0086. Is it rare?

ericjohn

Enlightened
So, yesterday I was shopping at a Family Dollar two towns down the bayou from mine. I was looking at the hurricane preparedness items (which were mostly flashlights and batteries.) I saw an incandescent 6 Volt lantern and it caught my eye. This flashlight reminded me of my early childhood years and I splurged. It is a Dorcy Luminator. The model number is 41-0086. As always when I buy something; I read as many articles about it online. When I came home I looked it up. I saw only one relevant link and that was to a picture of an even older looking light that did NOT match the one I bought. There is NO picture of it online. I checked the Flashlight Museum; no luck. I even checked Dorcy's website and found NOTHING! So, my bird brain self peeled off the label. After doing that, I felt like kicking myself; if it is indeed very rare, I just seriously de-valued it. I plan on buying some more. If I do; I will NOT peel of the labels. The one I just bought, I will rotate in my everyday use. The ones that I buy in the future; I will put in my storage unit. Has anyone else noticed this light? Does anyone else have any information about the potentially high value of this flashlight? I know it is carried at the Family Dollars in South Louisiana (and probably in every other hurricane/tornado prone area.) It costs a whole $3.50 but does not come with a battery. For another $3.xx, you can get a Carbon-Zinc Family Dollar battery for it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Dory 41-1644 40 Lumen 4.5V - 6V LED Replacement Bulb
Price: $7.00 from dorcydirect or Frys. Then that great big 6V battery will last forever during a blackout.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Can you post a pic?

DSC01968.JPG

DSC01970.JPG

DSC01972.JPG

I hope that these have been helpful. Later today, I am going to the Family Dollar in my town and I will see if they have some there too.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the looks of Dorcy's website, they are out of the incandescent business except for spotlights. So this is old stock. Put a LED replacement in it and it should be good to go. At that price, they could be a platform for modifications.

I take that back. They have a floating luminator with an incan bulb still in the list. Sneaky.

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
From the looks of Dorcy's website, they are out of the incandescent business except for spotlights. So this is old stock. Put a LED replacement in it and it should be good to go. At that price, they could be a platform for modifications.

I take that back. They have a floating luminator with an incan bulb still in the list. Sneaky.

I do NOT want to upgrade it to LED...I am perfectly satisfied with the Krypton PR bulb. They have plenty of them at the Family Dollar in my town and the one two towns down the bayou from me. They have so many that they are stocked in both the hurricane preparedness section and the electronics section. I plan on getting some more but I will put them in storage and keep the labels on them. I don't really like to do mods, because I like flashlights in their originality. Yes, I too saw that floating Luminator on their site. If you compare it to the pictures I posted; you will see that they are NOT identical. I cannot find a single picture of mine ANYwhere online. I also have an un opened Eveready IN-215 from the 1990's (1992) in my storage shed. I won't open that one at all.

Last edited: