a simple Convoy C8+ build

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
New postings are pretty slim in this section, so I thought I'd just post a couple projects. One is a build up of a C8+ host. I have a MTG2 type LED, and a Zener-modded driver to power it. *edit, the torch is a C8+, not an "s".

The first issue is that the LED that RMM had in stock was too big for the host. No problem, a couple minutes with a lathe solved that issue.
Just used a boring bar to widen the bottom by about .125"

6rdpoX.jpg

I may do a lighted tailcap just for fun, but the next step is to assemble to see how the components work together.
~D

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: a simple Convoy S8+ build

Okay, I finished this up last night. It was a quick, but fun build.

This shows the extra diameter needed for this MTG2 board. I like that it allows me to add (4) XQE's, might have to build up another torch with the Dragon Driver to play with.
You can also see my first small issue. The mpcb covers some of the hold-down screw hole. No biggie, ten seconds with a dremel widened the slots on the board.
BmWScb.jpg

The driver install is about as simple as it gets, you place it and then tighten down the hold-down ring.
This is my second problem with this host. It's just open air between the driver and the platform where the LED board sits. I left some wire on the leads to the LED, I'll eventually take it apart and fill this void with non-reactive silicone or epoxy to help with thermal mass.

The driver is from Mtn Elec, the Zener-mod. It works quite nicely! I've just got it set for 30% and 100% output, nothing fancy.
btwfQb.jpg
jdAKsf.jpg

LED in place. Because this board sits on such a thin shelf (probably about .120"), you have to heat up the entire head to get enough heat on the die to flow solder.
3bPUb6.jpg

I suppose some would consider this pocket-able, but really it's a good handy size. Sitting next to a D2 for reference.
hFPXIA.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out, was playing with it in my back yard. Ended up scaring some neighbors out for a walk, so I'd say it's a success!
~Daniel

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good. Note though, the Dragon driver is not able to mix voltages, MTG2, so you would need to run the XQ-E in series and zener mod the driver.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
good point static,
This head is large enough to wire up those XQE's so that they fit in a ring closer to the lens. thinking some interesting thoughts about the CWF Dragon