Advice on inexpensive multimeters please..

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
I've an old GB analog multimeter and I'm wanting to replace it with an inexpensive (read cheap here) digital unit. I'm thinking $20-25 or so... thinking Harbor Freight or something.. Mostly for checking my Li-ion batteries.

Ideas and or reccomendations ?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pawn Shops!

Try to find a used Fluke for the price and get a better meter than new can buy for the money these days.

Thats what I would do instead.
Each of my Fluke are from a Pawn Shop for a fraction of the retail price.

Ed

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, I'm a tool snob so I'd go with "pawn shop Fluke." (or Simpson, or Triplett... I actually like analog meters for some tasks.)

But, the Harbor Freight ones are much smaller, lighter, less expensive, and actually work rather well. Sure, they use cheesy leads that are permanently attached, but the whole meter costs less than a pair of Simpson leads. (how do they do it?)

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up getting the HF one, for now anyway.. does what I need and WAY easier to read than my old analog unit... and the leads are not permanently attached, just so you know.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cheap Chinese meters are generally good enough for hobby use. The Flukes are built to stand up to frequent use, and are all I use at work. At home, I've got a Fluke 77 that I got around 1986, and it's still great. I've also got a cheap Chinese meter which seems to work fine, and a little meter from Radio Shack. The RS meter, p/n 22-802, is pretty handy, especially when I have to strap a meter to the bicycle handlebars for dynamo measurements.

Basher

Newly Enlightened
The $30 Harbor Freight meter works great, and was actually recommended by every instructor I had at MMI. I used it regularly for the last 9 months of class, and aside from blowing a fuse or two, it still runs great. Had a decibel meter, light meter, audible continuity tester, etc.

Random Guy

Enlightened
The Amprobe AM-240 is a good choice for an entry level multimeter. It's about $35, and it's a good quality autoranging meter from a reputable company. If you want to spend a little less, you can get the AM-220, which is identical except for it's lack of a temperature mode.

Benik3

Newly Enlightened
UNI-T UT61E can make "lot of music with small amount of money" :)

Og3r

Newly Enlightened
I'm an Aviation Electrician, and I found a Milwaukee 2216-20 digital multimeter at goodwill for $10. Sells for $130 brand new, and I have been using it to work on $30 million dollar aircraft for 3 years now. Never know what you'll find at thrift stores/garage sales or like others said, the pawn shop:p The HF one will work fine, but I would just use it while keeping an eye out for an awesome deal on a nice one.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Have you had it calibrated for accuracy, or is that not important when working with aircraft?

Bill

Og3r

Newly Enlightened
Have you had it calibrated for accuracy, or is that not important when working with aircraft?

Bill

Oh, definately had it calibrated by a Co-Worker in the tool room. However for hobbies, you can easily calibrate a multimeter at home with decent accuracy via this method: http://www.ehow.com/how_7834057_calibrate-digital-multimeter.html

Or alternatively you can build this simple DIY calibration reference board http://www.avdweb.nl/tech-tips/multimeter-calibration-diy.html

Or just pay to have it done someplace locally.