Alpha problem / battery sensitive??

klackey

Enlightened
"Maybe it was on tails instead of heads." That was funny!!!!!

It was moving around and causing a glitch.............. I expect reliability above all in my relied upon EDC lights............ Now the Alpha is border-line EDC.... touch big........ even with the "shorty" body... but that is another thread............

I will be happy with having a few "special" cells for it........... I realllllly like it that much!

So, looking forward to getting a Delta....... In Ti.... so I am not put off by the Alphas sensitive batteries The delta looks like a good EDC when you don't need a light...........

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Maybe it was on tails instead of heads." That was funny!!!!!

It was moving around and causing a glitch.............. I expect reliability above all in my relied upon EDC lights............ Now the Alpha is border-line EDC.... touch big........ even with the "shorty" body... but that is another thread............

I will be happy with having a few "special" cells for it........... I realllllly like it that much!

So, looking forward to getting a Delta....... In Ti.... so I am not put off by the Alphas sensitive batteries The delta looks like a good EDC when you don't need a light...........

Thank You for your input 🤝 .
The new ICARUS driver in your Ready Made is capable of drawing 3.1Amps of power.
Many 18650 cells in circulation for sale are not rated for the 3.1A of discharge on Maximum burst mode.
The driver can function flawlessly with your older EDC cells on all levels <80% setting.
Typically, all 18650 cells have a "C" rating. The 'premium cells' You refer to on the site are 3400 MaH cells
capable of 2C @ 7A discharge. Cells with => 3100MaH capacity rated for 1C discharge should function normally.
A suggested work around for You is to program Mode Group 1 for the 'Premium Cells' and program
Group 2 for the cells You want to use in it that need Programming <= 80% output.
GL

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just skim read this but I'm pretty sure the above post isn't answering your questions.
From what I'm gathering your stock of 18650s are dented from other lights which is making contact issues in your Alpha? Non protected batteries also aren't ideal as the Alpha is designed to accommodate protected batteries (longer).
Any quality protected 18650 will handle 3.4A easily so there's no problem there. The solid copper tube soldered to the driver (+) is also a non issue for the most part as the driver has bump proof firmware which won't change modes etc if the power/contact is quickly broken and applied.
While perhaps a decent spring at the driver would sort out some issues, and a solid copper rod isn't really necessary for 3.4A, it's not a bad way to go.
I've used the same method (copper tube on the positive) to build some FET capable P60 quads. I had to make the copper tubes quite a bit longer than on the Alpha to get good contact using non protected batteries in bored SF 6Ps.
Long story short; get some quality protected 18650s and use your Alpha trouble free, they're great lights.

klackey

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughtful response.... I really just decided that I realistically only need a few batteries for my normal week of lighting needs so keeping a few "proper" batteries around for the Alpha is fine.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your thoughtful response.... I really just decided that I realistically only need a few batteries for my normal week of lighting needs so keeping a few "proper" batteries around for the Alpha is fine.
Dented cells anodes should work fine, as long as they long enough to make contact.
You can get a magnetic battery spacer(4mm X 1-1.5mm round) for the cells that are not long enough.
GL

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
my battery crusher lights are apparently my HDS lights
true: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/hds-dented-terminal-typical-or-atypical.474400/

That spring up top is one tough cookie....

img2.jpg

img1.jpg

fulee9999

Enlightened
can we just appreciate the fact that they couldn't work out the battery length in a $500 flashlight, so it does not make contact in a $330 flashlight because they skimped out on a .25 dollar piece of spring? Love it.

Last edited: