Are computer screen backlights upgradeable?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an inexpensive laptop backup, an HP Elite 8440, debut in 2011 (16gig ram, 1tb hd, sd card reader, win10 64 bit the works). It must have been top of the line in its day, because it still is ranked in the 54th percentile of today's cpus.

The one thing that kills it for me is the screen backlight. I think it must be an old cfl, and needs to be replaced with high cri neutral leds. Everything on this machine was designed to be upgraded, from the cpu onward. But I bet the led backlight upgrade is risky, and wasn't thought of at the time.

I am wondering if anyone has done this on their laptops...?

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
I've never heard of a laptop having that option, as I think it would take a hit on battery life. Would be interesting if you find out that it can be done.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think that laptop already has an LED light and unless you want to tear it apart and try to replace individual LEDs in it with hi CRI ones what you have is probably what you have to live with.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Assuming this spec sheet is correct...
Internal:
  • 14.0 in diagonal 16:9 LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768 resolution)
  • 14.0 in diagonal 16:9 LED-backlit HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900 resolution)
...the backlight is LED. Upgrading the backlight Might™ be as simple as finding comparable superior SMD LEDs and swapping them out. But expect the process to be a high-risk surgery - possibly including replacement of resistors and/or other power/control components to account for a decade of changes in LED tech.

3_gun

Enlightened
As hinted to in the above post, it's not unusual for there to be more than one screen &/or size option for a model. Much easier to upgrade to a better screen than rebuild an old one. Of course if you'd like to take on that kind of LED update project getting a donor screen to work on & test before the swap would be the way to go

discoverEDC

Enlightened
Get the yellow computer glasses or put a light yellow gel filter over the screen. Practicing on a donor machine is a great idea if you're going to operate on your own machine.

tyoda0202

Newly Enlightened
Not familiar with DIY upgrades to old laptops, let alone if it's possible without causing cosmetic damage or electronic issues. I'm on a design team for monitors, and the integration of the LCD panel with the backlight array can be very specific, even though physically separate components...they are not meant to be modular. IF it is possible to do a swap, better to source a complete LCD+Backlight , in other words a complete display module, then try to stuff it in is my guess.

I suppose a laptop display is like a monitor, but in the raw component form, which means dealing with power supply compatibility, digital signal or scaler compatibility with the laptop's system/bios, wiring and connectors, etc. Net is that laptops displays are not designed to be upgraded, well not easily at least.

I got an inexpensive laptop backup, an HP Elite 8440, debut in 2011 (16gig ram, 1tb hd, sd card reader, win10 64 bit the works). It must have been top of the line in its day, because it still is ranked in the 54th percentile of today's cpus.

The one thing that kills it for me is the screen backlight. I think it must be an old cfl, and needs to be replaced with high cri neutral leds. Everything on this machine was designed to be upgraded, from the cpu onward. But I bet the led backlight upgrade is risky, and wasn't thought of at the time.

I am wondering if anyone has done this on their laptops...?

Forget the LED change. Custom PCB, new power supply, optics .... it is a total non starter. You may be able to pick up a new CCFL though. After all this time, it has probably dimmed quite a bit.

In terms of the CPU, the best CPU in that laptop is about 30% slower than the cheapest Dell Inspiron Laptop ($300). It is all relative.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Forget the LED change. Custom PCB, new power supply, optics .... it is a total non starter. You may be able to pick up a new CCFL though. After all this time, it has probably dimmed quite a bit.
Spec sheet I found stated LED backlit, so it Could™ be as simple as separating the backlight and replacing incumbent ~2010 LEDs with better 2021 LEDs. But that assumes same formfactor, same light distribution, that the possibly lower Vf won't be a problem, and that the process of separating then reinstalling the backlight (assuming a PCB) can be done in a way that doesn't trash the whole thing mechanically nor optically. I suspect the final assumption is going to be the kicker - cleanly separating then cleanly reassembling.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier discussion on related topic in this thread:

Dave