Are Eneloop and Li-Ion primaries leak-proof or leak resistant?

mzil

Enlightened
I know one should remove batteries from a remote control they don't use for long periods of time, but let's just say I'm lazy and/or forgetful about that. :)

I need a battery technology which is pretty much leak proof , under standard indoor temperatures, so even if a very low voltage, nearly dead battery is left unattended in a remote control I don't use (or touch) for many years, I need not worry that it will leak when I go to use it years later. I don't care about the issue of battery life and self discharge tendencies; finding I have to replace the batteries when I go to use it years later is just fine, it is leaking if not attended to (under certain circumstances) that is my concern. Thanks.

CORRECTION: I meant Lithium batteries, disposable primaries that is, not li-ion.

Last edited:

lunas

Enlightened
Leaking batteries

alkaline - These are filled with potassium hydroxide or lye and overtime they leak out potassium calcite. Near 0 self discharge prone to eating the seals and leaking can theoretically leave alone for years and will still have a charge but will likely have either rusted or otherwise leaked.

Lead acid - Heavy filled with sulfuric acid and lead typically found in cars and backup power supplies. Typically multi cell packages make up the battery 2v per cell is typical.

Non leaking batteries
Eneloops or NiMH - or Nickel metal hydride which is a hydrogen enriched matrix of nickel wont leak but will self discharge eventually so when you go back to them years later they will have 0 charge. May or may not take a charge.

Energizer Lithium primaries - same near 0 self discharge can be left for up to 20 years and still have a charge does not leak like alkalines. NOT RECHARGEABLE also since energizer patented the technology they are the only brand out there. At least in the US. These batteries contain a colbalt sulfur and iron anode with a layer of lithium plastic and an electrolyte hydroxide wrapped around it in a tin or steel outer shell. They tend to vent a sweet smelling gas over time leaves no residue not technically a leak and does not build any pressure.

Li-ion - Low self discharge rechargeable prone to explosive nature if abused or poor quality cell is used. 3.7v

ZiN Zinc air batteries - will eventually wind down the charge they have as all the zinc inside oxidizes and drys out. Commonly labeled as Heavy Duty batteries.

Li-MN - safer version of Li-ion same specs.

LiFePSO4 - even safer but 3.3v

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
eneloops have vented small amounts of gas ( as designed ) blowing up switches like balloons. I have seen it enough to say it's more than an isolated incident...they were never intended for watertight devices. I don't recall any ever "leaking". You will get plenty of posts after this one testifying of no issues or complaints from people. Thats OK. Im happy they're happy, but while small, there is a chance of damaging a boot or blowing out a lens. The odds of this are reduced with a quality charger.

I don't use Li-ons

I love MADE IN USA CR123 Primaries for convince, safety, reliability and runtime. I have never heard of a genuine made in USA primary cell leak. As long as you follow the rules, I consider the chance of any leakage or "events" to be negligible..

lunas

Enlightened
eneloops have vented small amounts of gas ( as designed ) blowing up switches like balloons. I have seen it enough to say it's more than an isolated incident...they were never intended for watertight devices. I don't recall any ever "leaking". You will get plenty of posts after this one testifying of no issues or complaints from people. Thats OK. Im happy they're happy, but while small, there is a chance of damaging a boot or blowing out a lens. The odds of this are reduced with a quality charger.

I don't use Li-ons

I love MADE IN USA CR123 Primaries for convince, safety, reliability and runtime. I have never heard of a genuine made in USA primary cell leak. As long as you follow the rules, I consider the chance of any leakage or "events" to be negligible..
Sounds like he wants to use it in a remote of some type he claims normal operating temp so indoor storage. The answer is for a AA powered device to get Energizer Lithium primary cells.
Cr123 if it is for a light and the light takes that type.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I know one should remove batteries from a remote control they don't use for long periods of time, but let's just say I'm lazy and/or forgetful about that. :)

I need a battery technology which is pretty much leak proof , under standard indoor temperatures, so even if a very low voltage, nearly dead battery is left unattended in a remote control I don't use (or touch) for many years, I need not worry that it will leak when I go to use it years later. I don't care about the issue of battery life and self discharge tendencies; finding I have to replace the batteries when I go to use it years later is just fine, it is leaking if not attended to (under certain circumstances) that is my concern. Thanks.
I would recommend Energizer lithiums as Li-ion isn't a "primary" cell but a rechargeable and it not the same voltage range as eneloops (3.7v). Eneloops and Energizer Lithium (L92-AA,L91-AAA) don't leak and can store 15-20 years still having most of their capacity and costs about the same as Eneloops.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like he wants to use it in a remote of some type he claims normal operating temp so indoor storage. The answer is for a AA powered device to get Energizer Lithium primary cells.
Cr123 if it is for a light and the light takes that type.

Thats what I get for half reading.

+1 on Energizer lithiums.

mzil

Enlightened
Oops, My title was wrong and I can't edit it, only the post itself.

CORRECTION: I meant Lithium batteries, disposable primaries that is, not li-ion rechargables.

So for indoors use, everyone agrees Lithium, like L91 and L92, as well as modern Eneloops are both leak PROOF.

lunas

Enlightened
There is no such thing as proof i would say resistant. But yes generally there is no LIQUID for NiMH or Lithium primaries to leak only gas to out gas if abused.

But yes if you want to leave the batteries in a light or tv remote at a cabin you only go to once a year then Lithium primaries is the way to go if the visitation or use is say once a month i would say Eneloop or NiMH is the way to go.