Battery change on a Minimag

montvert

Newly Enlightened
How do I get to the battery compartment on a MiniMag flashlight? I assume it's by removing the tail end of the flashlight by un-threading it.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's correct. Tailcap threads off, batteries fall out. If the tailcap doesn't come off there's a good chance batteries have leaked out inside.

montvert

Newly Enlightened
What tool would I use to release a very stuck cap? Possibly cross-threaded?
I have tried needle-nosed pliers - in line with body of the flashlight to avoid marking the finish while holding the body with rubber mesh.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm working on stuff like this I'd gently clamp one part of the light in a rubber-padded vise and use a strap wrench on the other part. Heat applied to the body can help, as well as sharp taps on a non-marring suface like wood or plastic.

Keep in mind regular Mini-Mags are worth $0-10 on the used market so if it's too far gone a replacement is easy.

JohnTz

Enlightened
has the battery been in there a long time? My wife had one of these in the garage for years and the battery leaked and effectively welded the thing shut. Wound up actually tearing the tube in half trying to open it with a vice grip. It's not worth much so no loss but it was personal at that point. I was going to open it. 😂