BOING! (garage door spring broke)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, now what do I do ?

springsremoved.jpg

My uncle helped me unwind the other spring yesterday and I just finished takeing the assembly down. I think the hard part other than unwinding the springs was lowering that shaft the springs sit on; especially in a narrow garage.

Worst injury sustained was hitting my head on the garage door opener rail (the part where the screw drive or chain runs on).

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Oh man... my dad owns a garage door business, and I spent the summers working for him when I was in college - this isn't something I'd want to do without someone showing me how to do it!

Be carefull... use Vise-Grips to hold the rod in place and keep it from moving while you're winding the spring... at least back in the day that's how we did it... it was a while ago!

Worst case scenario - call your local overhead door company!

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
more like BOING and BANG!!!, i came into my bosses shop one day a few months ago, and he said did i notice how easy the door opened, it a 16 foot overhead door, well he had it all adjusted after one of the springs, let loose and flew close to 40 feet and slammed to the ground in the exact spot where i could have been if i was at the shop that day, needless to say it would not have been good..

Latest posts