Check those Bay purchases

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't spend much time here in the batteries forum (gotta work on that), so you all probably already know to check this, but today I received an A2 Aviator I bought on the Bay. It arrived with two differently-branded CR123a cells inside. One had a resting voltage of 3.14 volts, and the other was 2.59 volts. Glad I didn't just start using it before checking them. Be safe out there.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean rechargeable 123A's? Otherwise what is the problem?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have been more clear that they were primary cells. Running them with that kind of voltage disparity would not have been a good idea, methinks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't think anything bad would of happen. Can't tell you how many times I have used my lights till it was dead and the voltage difference on the dead batteries was huge.With primaries.

Tracklove

Newly Enlightened
Good reminder. I usually check batteries very carefully if not outright discard them, especially with any thing purchases off eBay. I have a few sellers I wouldn't worry as much about it but I'd rather be a little safe than sorry. Especially when it's someone I haven't bought from or only plan on buying from once.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
serious problems have occurred with badly mismatched cells.
as in explosions with toxic fumes that destroy lungs.
look at the smoke,fire,close calls section above.
I don't think anything bad would of happen. Can't tell you how many times I have used my lights till it was dead and the voltage difference on the dead batteries was huge.With primaries.