decent 75 dolar sharpener!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
You really don't need other stones to get started. Some tips on the sharpmaker that I posted in another thread:

My advice is to watch the old video where Sal shows how to use the Sharpmaker:

Yeah the video is old and kind of corny but if you watch it and use the Sharpmaker like Sal demonstrates you will have good results. My advice is not to try to reinvent Sal's techniques.
A few tips:

Do most of your sharpening with the corners of the gray stones – if the edge is not sharp coming of the gray stones it will take forever to get it sharp on the white stones (the white stones are for refining an already sharp edge).

- Do Not sharpen the last ¼" of so of a plain edge on the corner of the stones – use the flats only for this or you may round off your point. For serrated edges keep the corner of the stone in the last couple of serrations near the tip so that the tip doesn't get pulled past the edge of the stone.

- Stand above the sharpmaker when sharpening. This helps keep the blade straight up and down so your edge angle is consistent.

- For serrated edges (use the corner of the white stones), I prefer to use the second white stone free hand to remove the burr by laying it completely flat on the side that does not have the ground edge once every 5 to 10 strokes to remove the burr, like Sal shows for deburring scissors.

- To remove burrs from plain edges you can strope (plain, unloaded strope) or use the stones at an angle slightly steeper than your edge angle with very light pressure. You can also strope serrated edges on the unground side, again by laying it completely flat on the strope.
cool ty for all the great info. so far i got my d2 steel folder to arm shaveing sharp

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad the Sharpmaker is working for you.

Another tip - keep the stones clean, they work much better when they're clean.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I am pleased with the Worksharp knife and tool sharpener. It has guides that set the angles for you.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a Work Sharp Precision Adjust sharpener, and I like it. I am getting much better results than I did with just ceramic Crock Sticks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Work Sharp definitely has some excellent sharpeners in their line-up.
Have a couple myself.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if this works but it arrived today, haven't opened it yet...

Sharpal156.jpg

iacchus

Enlightened
I've got a pile of sharpening stuff, from the expensive guided jobs, to the cheaper guided jobs, the sharpmaker, a quarter quarry of various stones...

For pocket knives, I inevitably use a Falkniven DC4 or CC4. They do a fantastic job and are the simplest and easiest option. The leather slipcase makes a great strop to finish with even. I keep one of each in the bag, you'd never know they were there.

Sure, not gonna get a mirror finish on the edge with them, but I gots no real use for those. They're pretty, and neat to finally get good enough to pull off, but for a actual day to day use, they can chuck rocks.

Cheap enough that when they eventually dsh, you just toss it and buy another. They last well long enough to provide a money's worth. Screaming, fine toothed edges in just a few minutes.