Decent RED powerLED AA flashlights

rumack

Enlightened
Very glad I found this thread. I have been wanting a good true red LED light for a long time, preferably something with more punch than a AAA. I love HDS lights and thought about getting one with the red LED option but didn't think I would use it enough to justify the cost. Now I see they have dropped the red LED option so it's a moot point.

I had not thought of checking with Vinh on modding a Zebralight SC52. I thought I had read a post from him some time ago that he wasn't able to open a Zebralight without destroying it. I'm a big Zebralight fan (I have an SC62w in my pocket right now). I will definitely be watching this thread. :twothumbs

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, wow... I can't believe HDS dropped a red LED option. I wonder why they would do that? Still have blue, green, and IR... What is the difference between providing one LED option and the next (rhetorical)? Maybe if when ordering, one offers to send HDS the red LED one wants?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, Vinh got into one a few years ago, and could have modded it and offered the mod, but decided there was no point in modding it. It was already plenty ampy. There's a thread about it in his forum section. Vinh has so much work, so little time, his work comes at a premium. No deals. So I'll likely eventually go with your suggestion because my income sucks.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Discovered another red light, head lamp, Armytec Wizard WR claims Red OTF 250Lm and White OTF 1000Lm. It is out of stock at Armytec, but can be found on Amazon. There are a number of multiLED lights, but usually include Green and Blue also, so I thought this one interesting for just Red and White, and claims very bright in both spectrums.

Interestingly, Cree developed and made available an LED with both Red and White light built in, but the White was as cool as it can get, and I've never seen any flashlight that utilized for it. Cree also makes RGBW LEDs, and if someone developed a driver that could mix the colors in correct variances, any color should be possible.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I would find an old 4sevens quark and put an xpg-3 in it. Easy mod.

Yup, I found a pair of M59 Hilka`s for £5 each, they`re So easy to mod! and I have a batch of 10x 730nm leds already MCPCB mounted and a few Warm whites as well. so pretty much any color I want up to 3W.
I think it`s the next logical step really, if you can`t buy it, Make it! ;)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found another really nice light configurable in red, but not AA, 18650 Noctigon KR1 w/ W1 Red Osram CSLNM1.23 single emitter in 617nm, Andúril ramping interface, and 18350 tube available. Probably pretty bright at that lower red wavelength, and surely throws with that big reflector.

Last edited: