Does anyboby make an 18650 powered closet style "push" light?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is wrong with Low Self Discharge Nimh? 18650 is very dangerous. If unattended like in a closet they can drop to below 2.7V when they will explode if recharged.
For your torches there is National Flashlight Day when you make sure your 18650 batteries are kept charged. But that one in the closet can easily be forgotten and missed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2RzgyvgjBM

pageyjim

Enlightened
What is wrong with Low Self Discharge Nimh? 18650 is very dangerous. If unattended like in a closet they can drop to below 2.7V when they will explode if recharged.
For your torches there is National Flashlight Day when you make sure your 18650 batteries are kept charged. But that one in the closet can easily be forgotten and missed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2RzgyvgjBM

Not really imo I will be in and out of it constantly. Thanks though, I keep up with my batteries pretty well. It's just that I have so many of them and don't want to buy any other chemistries and sizes etc.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quotes like this are why some people are irrationally afraid of lithium ion. 18650s are not "very dangerous", and there is a very small chance that it would explode, even if abused. Cells have vents specifically to avoid that. Furthermore, if you buy a protected cell, it won't allow you to discharge it too far. Calling attention to proper care is one thing, but let's not get carried away. Millions of lithium ion cells are used every day, and reports of serious safety problems are still few and far between. And even those typically occur with mismatched, or low quality cells.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a light that is off most of the time and gets very little attention, primary cells are the best options, 18650 i would not use, but not due to "danger" but for simply practicality reasons, of course if one really wants to he can convert it, but from manufacturers pov, who would buy a light for wich no store stockes cells???

pageyjim

Enlightened
for a light that is off most of the time and gets very little attention, primary cells are the best options, 18650 i would not use, but not due to "danger" but for simply practicality reasons, of course if one really wants to he can convert it, but from manufacturers pov, who would buy a light for wich no store stockes cells???

Practical, really? I see you have many practical lights in your collection lol. I find that a funny term on this forum. A security light or a "push" type that uses an 18650 would be very "practical" for me. I understand it may not be to a mass market. Thanks for your thoughts though.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Practical, really? I see you have many practical lights in your collection lol.

lmao, "you do not know the half of it", lol

but as far as your light goes, looks like you'll have to build\convert one yourself, i could not find single manufacturer that makes them for 18650.

pageyjim

Enlightened
lmao, "you do not know the half of it", lol

but as far as your light goes, looks like you'll have to build\convert one yourself, i could not find single manufacturer that makes them for 18650.

LOL, that's what I'm thinking. Thanks for looking.

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Never seen this type of consumer light with a 18650 or other li-ion cell.

To be constructive (better than li-ion are the best or li-ion are the bad they can explode) I think it's difficult or even impossible to sell a consumer product with an exchangeable li-ion battery type 18650 or similar.
All products we have with li-ion battery are with a protection circuit together with the cell. Or battery not user exchangeable, fixed in the device.

Only small amount of enthusiast flashlights are made in very small series by passionate or by chinese people (because chinese make all they can sell ;) - not depending on law or safety).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quotes like this are why some people are irrationally afraid of lithium ion. 18650s are not "very dangerous", and there is a very small chance that it would explode, even if abused. Cells have vents specifically to avoid that. Furthermore, if you buy a protected cell, it won't allow you to discharge it too far. Calling attention to proper care is one thing, but let's not get carried away. Millions of lithium ion cells are used every day, and reports of serious safety problems are still few and far between. And even those typically occur with mismatched, or low quality cells.
How about some pictures then.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-Explosion-during-use-firsthand-account)

I did not ask the OP to stop using 18650 in his flashlights. Just the one in the closet that he may forget.
18650 are safe as long as you use them properly. See:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely

Laptops had many 18650 fires in the early '00s. Then the manufacturers as well as the manufacturers of cell phones and other devices had major protection added.***
But very few flashlights have the protection. As to protected batteries I once read a customer review that a certain battery would not turn on if the voltage was below 3V but when he ran it from a higher voltage it would run all the way down to zero without cutting out.
It is really up to the user to follow ALL safety procedures. Protection circuits should be for backup only.

*** Practically every name brand device that uses rechargeable lithium batteries have DV/DT charging circuits. They will charge up to 80% really fast then take 2 hours to trickle charge up the final 20%. Those that do not have DV/DT circuits will just charge at the lower rate.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the links...I am already familiar with all of those threads. In fact, I use them (and a few others) if someone is genuinely unaware of POTENTIAL problems with batteries, or suggesting that *****Fire are good value. But each of those stories just demonstrates that basic care must be taken...it does not in any way support your statement that 18650s are "very dangerous" without qualification, which is the part of your post I objected to. That is just fear-mongering, rather than educational. Nor is a cell likely to explode in the original poster's scenario - the vents built into every cell are specifically designed to prevent that. The fact is, that any dense energy source packed into a strong, watertight tube can be an issue...but that is not what the OP plans to do, in any case, nor is he a newbie to lithium-ion cells.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Coming close, I found plenty of 18650 solar powered security lights. Which I might try one for that purpose. Only problems with using them in closets is they stay on low in the dark with no motion detected. And I am unsure if the batteries are replaceable, I would rather use my own.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
No demand i reckon your answer is,closet lights are sold to Joe Public and an odd battery such as an 18650 would be a silly and ridiculous item to be offered to the general public.

pageyjim

Enlightened
No demand i reckon your answer is,closet lights are sold to Joe Public and an odd battery such as an 18650 would be a silly and ridiculous item to be offered to the general public.

True, but I'm just looking and asking. Coming close, I found some motion lights with 18650 just don't want solar powered.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but I'm just looking and asking. Coming close, I found some motion lights with 18650 just don't want solar powered.

The light you are looking for would suit me down to the ground but here in the UK 18650 batteries are not common and mail order is our only way of purchase.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Solar light inside closet?

I have solar powered lights all over the place including closets. They last for weeks into months. With an extra one I can simply rotate them when needed.

The thread originally inquired about 18650 push lights for closets etc. I came across this one which has 2-18650 batteries, is motion detected and also is solar powered. I guess that gives me options. I think that a solar powered charger is interesting at the very least. The charger aspect doesn't need to be effective for me since I have plenty of batteries but time will tell.

Seems perfectly normal to me I didn't even think about the obvious question of your post.

pageyjim

Enlightened
"Off most of the time"??? What 18650 lights are on, most of the time? Since this was posted there are many out there. Wonder why that is. "Practicality reasons"??? LOL