does arctic silver thermal adhesive smoke?

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
I used some to direct mount an xm-l emitter to copper and after about 10 seconds it starts to smoke. The led/copper isn't hot to the touch, so does this stuff smoke a bit at first?

AmperSand

Enlightened
Just checking! :)
I have used it quite a few times but never for direct mount, always on a star and never had any smoking issues so can't really add much more. So long as its not electrically conductive that's about all I could think of and you have that covered.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
direct mount an xm-l emitter to copper

Sorry, my interpretation of this sentence is that you are using the arctic silver adhesive between the emitter & mount (star).
Or did I interpret it wrongly.

I only know of 1 method to mount the emitters to the mount (solder reflow) but never heard of using adhesive to mount them.

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
The temperature between the emitter and the star will be much higher than between the star and the heatsink so I'm not surprised it's smoking.

I don't have a datasheet but I suspect it's not intended to be used at these temperatures.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats why im asking if he is using it between the emitters & star or star & pill/mount...

If its the latter, it shouldn't be a problem since its designed to work that way.
If its the former, than I'm curious to find out if it can work this way or not.

- JonK

Epsilon

Enlightened
Thats why im asking if he is using it between the emitters & star or star & pill/mount...

If its the latter, it shouldn't be a problem since its designed to work that way.
If its the former, than I'm curious to find out if it can work this way or not.

- JonK
If it is used to glue the emitter to a star/heatsink:

I have used Artic Silver adhesive (silver variant) on SST-90 builds, which does the job fine if both surfaces are very flat and a very thin layer of adhesive is applied.

But with an XM-L, this is very difficult due to the small form factor. When the layer is only a little thick, the heat will not be transferred good enough to the heatsink/star which will result in a dead LED. It is fine for big surfaces but not for such small ones. The thermal interface when using the AA or AS adhesive is a lot worse than soldering it.

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
The emitter is direct mounted, no star. After being on high @ around 3A I get some smoke but very little heat. I used to have it flowed on a star and then AS'd to the copper but it was producing a lot of heat but no smoke.

Epsilon

Enlightened
If the heatsink is getting hot, this is a good sign of good thermal transfer. If it doesn't get warm, the heat is trapped in the LED and will kill it eventually.

The LED is producing a certain amount of heat that has to be transferred. The smoke indicates that it gets very, very hot.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter is direct mounted, no star. After being on high @ around 3A I get some smoke but very little heat. I used to have it flowed on a star and then AS'd to the copper but it was producing a lot of heat but no smoke.

If your copper mount is not hot after running it at 3A, then I believe that your thermal contact is very poor & the heat might be trapped in the emitter, which will eventually kill it.
I recently tested a XM-L2 on a copper star direct from a DC power supply at 4A.
After 10 secs, the whole copper star because too hot to touch.

You might wanna check the contact surface between your emitter & copper mount.
Like Epsilon said, the 2 surfaces gotta be very flat in order for them to have good contact.

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Did you use a very thin layer when mounting the emitter? Did you squeeze out any excess by pressing down on the emitter? Ideally you want a layer that is less than the thickness of a sheet of paper.

I've used arctic silver alumina thermal adhesive for mounting LED's with larger center thermal pads such as SST-50/90, but not for a smaller emitter such as a XM-L. Since you were mounting a emitter to copper wouldn't it be easier to reflow solder it instead:thinking:? If you have a soldering iron you can reflow. Solder paste makes it much easier but it can be done with regular 60/40 rosin core solder as well.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a soldering iron you can reflow. Solder paste makes it much easier but it can be done with regular 60/40 rosin core solder as well.

Hey Lilkevin715, care to share how you reflow using soldering iron?
Can it work with normal MCPCB stars?

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and ordered a couple h22a's for my maglites. I will probably just toss this one in the spare parts box and go with a warmer tint xm-l.