Dumb question about charging Eneloops, but I'd appreciate feedback...

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I just recently bought my first eneloop batteries and a couple of the BQ-CC17 Advanced Chargers. I know the charger isn't a great one, but it's what I have. At this point the technology is completely new to me, and I'm not really wanting to invest a lot of time and effort into it beyond having some eneloops for my flashlights, and my kids games, etc.

My question is...the charger instructions state that the charger should only be used in a vertical wall outlet. Is there a reason for this? I'm asking because I'd like to just charge the batteries by plugging them into the strip on my work table. Would charging them in the horizontal position in the advance charger on my work table cause problems? Sorry for the stupid question, but I couldn't find any info about his so far in searching online.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would follow the instructions as the manufacturer knows best, probably has done testing, and wouldnt say that for no reason(could be a safety issue, exc.).

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Yes, as of now I have them plugged into the wall, but I thought I'd ask to see what others thought about this. It would just be a little more convenient and easier for me to remember if they were on the table instead of an outlet where I'm more apt to forget about them.

Thanks for the feedback.

recDNA

Flashaholic
That's weird. I'd need a double e to explain why it would matter.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
I have one of these kicking around and didn't see that particular warning in the instructions that came with my charger. Thermal reasons would be my guess as well but the thing only charges AAs at around 300mA. I doubt it creates much heat. Another (super longshot guess given the cost of this charger) is that it has some sort of termination/safety thermocouple that is only accurate in the vertical position. I'm not one to advise ignoring a manufacturer's advise but I suspect the risks of running in horizontally are modest.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Thanks for the answers everyone. Heat issue does sound the most likely. I'm just going to follow the directions for now, but will probably plug it into the table top as some point. Sounds like minimal risk, and that what I wanted to know, so thanks again everyone.

AA#5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answers everyone. Heat issue does sound the most likely. I'm just going to follow the directions for now, but will probably plug it into the table top as some point. Sounds like minimal risk, and that what I wanted to know, so thanks again everyone.

If you do plug it into the table top, I'd check it frequently for overheating.