Dumb question regarding capacity of a 26650

jcorbridge

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I just inherited a Astrolux FT03 (which oddly I bought originally) and it needs a new battery.

Looking online the capacity for a 26650 is up to 8800mAh. So dumb question is, why would anyone buy a lower capacity battery?

I am guessing maybe there's a sweet spot before that form goes away?

Thank you for any wisdom.
JC

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well not sure a genuine 26650 is that high but certainly 6000 mah. It's a pretty big battery and if you want a small light to carry around all day you get one with a smaller/less capacity battery. The main reason people choose a smaller capacity battery is it makes the light more compact.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Greetings!

Highest capacity genuine 26650 that I could find with a quick search was the Vapcell K62, at 6200 mAh.
Personally, I would not buy any 26650 above 6000 mAh. Those 8800 mAh cells I would flatly call a scam.

For 18650, it seems the current max is 3600 mAh. Do NOT buy any of those "9900 mAh" 18650 cells that flourishes on Ebay!

Hi all,

I just inherited a Astrolux FT03 (which oddly I bought originally) and it needs a new battery.

Looking online the capacity for a 26650 is up to 8800mAh. So dumb question is, why would anyone buy a lower capacity battery?

I am guessing maybe there's a sweet spot before that form goes away?

Thank you for any wisdom.
JC
Did you mean a lower capacity version of a 26650 cell or a completely different cell that cannot hold that capacity like an 18650? If the former, then two possibilities come to mind. 1) In my case I have been using 18650's for so long that my earliest cells have a 2600 mAh capacity which was the highest available at the time. My recent purchases are 3500 mAh, but I still keep the old 2600 cells since they still work. 2) When technology allows for an increase in capacity, the cost of the older lower capacity cells generally goes down, and some folks would prefer to pay less for more batteries and don't care if they need to change them out more often. That's off the top of my head, but I'm not certain that I really understand your question.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
dumb question is, why would anyone buy a lower capacity battery?
Because there are huge numbers of people who simply dont know, dont care, dont anyting.
;)
the lower capacity ones (like: size of D cell, capacity of AA) usually are much cheaper also

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
Generally, lower capacity = higher drain, and vice versa. Not always true, but predominantly the case. And yeah, what PaladinNO said...8800 mAh is marketing scammage. It's getting tougher to find good quality 26650. I can't vouch, but I've read Orbtronic sells a good one, albeit on the pricey side. I have an Astrolux EA02, and I run 18650's (NCR18650GA) in it with the provided delrin spacer. It's a novelty thrower, so it sees little use and I'm not running it hours on end.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with TIFisher.

If you have a device that needs more continuous amperage, the appropriate battery will have less mAh by the design constraints of battery chemistry.

Most flashlights do just fine with the higher capacity batteries from reputable companies.

Orbtronic (flat shipping) provides legitimate information on their website, though you might find a better fit from another site like illumn, and others.

This is what I have read in the past.

jcorbridge

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic info. Thanks very much all around. I'll stick with a reputable ~6000mAh. Looks like KeepPower is still around.

BTW I've been out of the torch game for a while and it's real nice to have a new (old) one in my possession again.

JC

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
I go for the highest quality cells I can get. Capacity is a secondary concern when I carry a Storacell full of 18650s.
Yes this! I usually go for Nitecore cold weather 18650's but for durability have been getting Fenix ones due to the steel shell construction and short circuit protection.