Expensive Batteries.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back in the day when Incans were commonly in use I went to CVS to get some CR123s or Ns. A 2-pack of Duracells were almost 30$, probably that with sales tax.

Well I visit today and they have them for pretty much the same prices. They have three single Duracell CR123s for 15.49$ apiece. How do people afford these? Back then 2-pack Energizer was $9.99 or so at Walmart and Surefire 2-pack was almost $5 at Lowes.

I used both in my Surefire 6p, Streamlight Scorpion, or Glock GTL 10. The cost of using for an hour was more than minimum wage but I was happy to have consistant and reliable lighting. 60-90 lumens was considered retina burning levels by gun magazine authors too!

I'll probably go back and buy them just because but I don't see how the members of the public afford these for tactical lights.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what type of local places you have around you, but I buy genuine Panasonic sells for two dollars apiece. Canadian so about $1.50 USD. But I got lucky finding this place because normally they are $10 apiece at any store, if you can even find them. I would check around to see if you can find any battery specific stores. I've also heard that places like battery station and Amazon are good in the US.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's rough. When I was younger and heard about Surefires I didn't think I could afford those batteries, so I never got a Surefire. I used eneloops and then later various 18650s and 21700s since I could amortize the cost over lots of charge cycles. Now I still kind of want to check out a Surefire light. :)

geisto

Newly Enlightened
Surefire sells a box of 12 CR123s for $24.95. I bought them on ebay.... those 72cell bulk box deals...it came to like $1.50 a cell. Still not cheap and I burned through them like candy in my M3T/125lumen bulb. Gamechanger when LED drop-ins came in and it basically doubled the output and runtime on the same CR123s. Once I bought 17500 Li-ions, those CR123s are just backups.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont try to buy anything like this from cvs or any other drugstore.
Unless you need something medical you cannot elsewhere dont even go in.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buc-ee's gas station near Sieverville, TN, passing through at Christmas

IMG_1746.jpg

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those exist on the rack in CVS for when grandma needs a battery for her 35mm point & shoot camera in time for little Timmy's birthday party. But joke's on her, Timmy fell down the well again and she should be buying dog food for Lassie.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is what 2 alkaline AA would cost you in a drug store in nyc, i wonder what the date is on them, they may be very old hence the low price,

Poppy

Flashaholic
I bought a 10 or 12 pack of these years ago. They worked fine. I switched to rechargeables, and probably still have a few lying around. They are inexpensive enough to actually use though.