Fenix LD12 2017 - Still relevant?

BigWigs84

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new AA EDC light to replace my Zebralight SC52 which has gone missing after many years of faithful service.

Looking around I'm drawn to the 2017 LD12. It reminds me of my Quark AA Tactical I had before the Zebralight and checks alot of boxes for me:
  1. 14500 and AA compatibility (want to use AAs in a pinch but 14500 for standard day to day use).
  2. Forward clicky that is not tied to the mode output. I want modes handled completely discretely from the main switch.
  3. Reasonable mode range, will miss moonlight on the ZL a little, but really my use of that was limited.
  4. Neutral white.
  5. Throw looks pretty good for a smaller light.
Disadvantages:
Output is not spectacular by modern standards, especially when compared to some of the compact 18650 lights. But AA compatibility is very important to me.

Is there any alternatives I should be looking at that are similar in style and function?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a new AA EDC light to replace my Zebralight SC52 which has gone missing after many years of faithful service.

Looking around I'm drawn to the 2017 LD12. It reminds me of my Quark AA Tactical I had before the Zebralight and checks alot of boxes for me:
  1. 14500 and AA compatibility (want to use AAs in a pinch but 14500 for standard day to day use).
  2. Forward clicky that is not tied to the mode output. I want modes handled completely discretely from the main switch.
  3. Reasonable mode range, will miss moonlight on the ZL a little, but really my use of that was limited.
  4. Neutral white.
  5. Throw looks pretty good for a smaller light.
Disadvantages:
Output is not spectacular by modern standards, especially when compared to some of the compact 18650 lights. But AA compatibility is very important to me.

Is there any alternatives I should be looking at that are similar in style and function?

I'm not familiar w/ the Zebras, so I won't compare to those - but since you are, that's OK because you already have. Yes, the LD12 is still highly 'relevant', and is a great design that I think would be difficult, if not impossible to beat in a AA/14500 light within your criteria.

I don't have one, but do have the PD25, and as far as I can tell the LD12 is essentially a AA/14500 version of the PD25 in every respect except the dimensions.

If not for one issue, my PD25 would be on my short list of favorite lights of all time, an issue which unfortunately renders it unusable for me, and is the only reason I don't also have an LD12 for a compatible AA/14500 option.

Unfortunately, when I use the PD25 I frequently (almost always) unintentionally press the side switch when I grip the light and operate the tail switch, due to the fact that I also naturally increase my grip pressure when doing so. This results in the light coming on in 'low' instead of 'max' output level (which it would otherwise stays in thanks to 'last state power-up'), which makes the light dangerously unusable in my intended 'tactical backup' role. I fear I'd have exactly the same issue with the LD12, otherwise I would undoubtedly already have one as a compatible AA/14500 option.

If you don't think the issue I have would be a big issue for you, then based on everything I can tell, the LD12 looks like a great light / design (as the PD25 is), and would be a great choice.

Given this part of your requirement #2 (<<<I want modes handled completely discretely from the main switch>>>), I can't think of a better choice for a AA/14500 light among the manufacturers I'm familiar with and whose products I prefer to use. All my other recommendations would be full, single tail switch control (such as 'single / double-tap' for output level selection), with no side switch.

josekym

Newly Enlightened
If it were not for the forward clicky/tactical requirement, I would recommend the ThruNite T10T V2:

- It accepts AA/NiMH/14500
- It has a usable moon mode on AA/NiMH
- offered in Neutral white
- has single side-switch only, but familiar operation: long press from off for moon, single click to low/medium, double click to high
- with strobe
- with magnetic tail

Otherwise, maybe you can also have a look at the ThruNite Archer 1A V3? No NW LED, however.

I also have the LD12 2017, and it is still very relevant for me.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
I still use my Fenix LD10 (R5)
Hard to find a small Fenix that has a single digit low (3 lumen) anymore.

3_gun

Enlightened
Still a good light if you can find one, it's not in the 2022 catalog at least on my quick look thru. Still using the ld10r5 that it was bought to replace. Solid single AA lights

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagtac d3a from illuminationgear can be ordered with an osram led for throw, I think they have high cri options as well.
Runs on either AA or 14500.

My current favourite in this category is the Acebeam Rider rx, it has an overshield that's basically a fidget device. With a 14500 it's rated for 650 lumens, will run on nimh. The beam is high cri, smooth reflector so it has a little bit of range over textured.