First Build - Work in Progress but feedback welcome

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Ok, flooded again... a few drops as before between the lense and the drop-in... Ideas welcome ;(

I changed it so the lense sat on the maglite head, increased the size of the front O-ring to 3mm section and went diving, 4 dives to 30m (100ft), still worked but I was on thin ice as it was flickering...

next+section+v1.0.jpg

My only thought now is that the water is coming in past the 2mm O-ring.. so looking for a 2.x ring ( less that 2.5mm) or use the gasket sealant instead or both...

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

lucca brassi

Enlightened
next_section_v1_0.png
of course sealent between suporting ring and maglite housing , o ring in top of beazel dont have some sealing function

Last edited:

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lucca, I appreciate your thoughts given your belief a maglite is not a dive torch ;)

I'll have to think about your solution as its probably a little more engineering that i'm capable of... but not giving up just yet..

John

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of cutting a groove in the face of the support ring, cut a square notch in the corner of the ring. Then the o-ring will seal between the support ring and the wall of the light, and also seal the lens. Not only will this make the sealant unnecessary (though you could still use if for redundancy), but it would also make the support ring easier to make.

But it seems like all this shouldn't be necessary. Many others have used this head for dive lights without going to this trouble, and they have had good success. Have you checked out what they have done?

I'm surprised 350xfire and Packhorse haven't chimed in yet. They certainly ought to know.

If you really want to try the support ring, PM me.

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
HI DIWdiver....i'm sort of surprised i'm having to go to these measures to get it working too.... given the history of others modifying a maglite...

i'm going to back to basics ...