Flashlight for a friend on a farm

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
If a woman runs and works on a farm, i would not worry about her mechanical knowledge and ability to use flashlight. She is most likely more capable than 70% of men that live in a city.
I probably should have phrased it in the sense that she's not into multiple modes and a complicated UI. I'd venture to say that the overwhelming majority of men and woman aren't into that so that just leaves us weirdos 🤣

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you seriously underestimate her, and overestimate complexity of changing modes on a flashlight, my 3 years old figured how to use gekko, including changing modes, by himself, however my wife can not, it is not that she is slow, she just does not want to be bothered with little things like that, lol but she would not last a day on a farm either. otoh she can write complicated codes, and troubleshoot codes that someone else wrote. kinda ironic isn't it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, for my wife there is no need to know how to use a light, she never have to, i do that, and now my son, but for a person that runs a farm it is a necessary tool, i have 0 doubt she can learn how to in 5 min, and do it instinctively after a day or two.
When we go camping my wife uses zl h600, but she only turns it on and off, she isn't changing modes, she never puts it on her head either, she wears it on her wrist.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Farmers could probably figure out how to power a flashlight using egg yolk and goats milk. They're generally more inteligent than most "city slickers" but when they need a tool, the basics often end up being the best kind. They have a potato fork and a pitch fork for example that in a pinch will perform either chore. However one is more suited more plucking potatoes out of the ground while the other is better at tossing hay.
I'd say same applies for a flashlight. I know when my former mentor is trying to fix a hole in a fence in the rain after a bovine jailbreak he don't give a flyin' flip about modes, CRI or fuel type, he wants reliable light and he wants it now.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
.........................................., he wants reliable light and he wants it now.

You know, when I have used lights "for real" at work and elsewhere, I've found the same. I just want something that'll turn on, turn off on demand. Any mode switching or other fiddling just gets in the way of whatever task I'm trying to do. At that moment I don't want to have to spend any bit of focus or time on the flashlight itself. Even just a 3-mode light was annoying.

I just shake my head when I see all these multi-mode, multi-button, complex UI lights that are marketed as "tactical". Right.

When the poo is hitting the fan, you don't want to be forced to expend any thought on the light itself since there's already enough OTHER stuff to deal with.

Just my (limited) experience.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have some lights with built in features and hidden modes. It's great for some but I just recently learned how to properly use the defrost feature on my microwave so for flashlights I prefer a hi/lo or lo/ho option only.

I've managed to reprogram some Streamlights and Maglites, and even found a mode I like with a Tana singLED in a couple SureFire lights. But that's so they start on a very useable low in the case of Streamlights and the Tana. The Maglites are momentary, high and the very useable extra low they call eco, which I have asked them a number of times to build a mode that starts on the eco setting please.

To me it's like a car. The headlights on low do most of the work with the option of more light if needed. But as much as I like Malkoff hi/lo products they're just too slippery for my comfort. The knurling he used back when the MD2 had a Kroll switch was perfect in my view. Another good mechsnical hi/lo option is Elzetta lights with a hi/lo tail cap. Plus the grip is really good like a SureFire body.

I also prefer primaries in my must work now lights. Nothing wrong with rechargeables in many cases.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 20+ years i work as a building engineer, use lights daily, in basements, pipe tunnels, cooling towers, above ceiling spaces, mechanical rooms....., pretty much every light i used in the last 15 years had modes, never had any issues. i don't see how multiple modes make it less reliable. or somehow inconvenient. just because it is a single mode light does not mean it will be more reliable, not in my experience. The way i see it, it's an urban legend.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its more about not wanting to fiddle around with modes & just wanting something that turns on/off without having to think about it. Im the same way in that regard. I just dont like having to pay attention to low long or often I click/hold a button for a light to come on at the right setting. Head twist interfaces like Malkoff are great for that because they're single mode lights most of the time but have that lo available when you need it.

For the grip issue. Grip tape might fix it, even duct tape. Also, foam bicycle handlebar covers/grips. Some fit 1" lights perfectly once cut to length. Also increases thickness so it makes it more comfortable.

LEDphile

Enlightened
+1 on a work tool needing to be simple and reliable. And this is why some of us are big fans of the Surefire gas-pedal switch for dual-mode work lights. (is that switch off patent yet?)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another good option is the SureFire G2x Pro that starts out with a very useable low. For reaching out the high option is available. Very affordable and very reliable.

The Malkoff products are designed to easily deploy from a holster. When seconds count it's a pretty useful feature.