Found this on the WWW. Web!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for pointing this out, mrbreeze.

The other way to do it is to use a 3mm LED, only having to remove the lip at the very bottom of the LED encapsulation; instead of having to mod the reflector for the larger 5mm LED.

The other benefit is that a spare 'bulb' then fits in the original tailcap stash.

20240119_120858.jpg

20240119_121045.jpg
20240119_113330.jpg

20240119_113139.jpg
20240119_113214.jpg

(I didn't take any pics from the front end, but it's a pretty tidy install.)

Having the 'White' in the primary location, and the 'Red' in the tailcap stowage, for example.

For some reason, the beam is much better from the white LED, despite going through the full focus range of the MM original design.

About 5-10 lumens from the White, from doing rough comparisons; the Red was considerably dimmer.
Not too bad considering the original MM was ~14 lumens. I actually still had a functioning incandescent bulb, and really didn't see much difference in output. Beam quality was far better with the white LED.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this 20 years ago, those white 10 and 5mm even 3mm leds are 3.6v leds, they will barely work with 2aa cells, i had to use 3N cells, the reflector was not focusing, basically the beam was from bare 5mm led.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
alpg88, long ago I tried a similar thing with older 5mm LED's and had your experience; for instance they would work somewhat with the higher voltage of 2xAA alkalines, but not from 2xAA NiMH even hot off the charger.

But newer-mfg LED's appear to have lower Vf's, for example these relatively modern 3mm LED's I was playing with had ~identical output between alkalines and NiMH - a nice surprise.

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall that back in 2009 I got a pack of assorted LEDs from Radio Shack. They were Custom made in USA so I assume they were CREE instead of Nichia or something and they would work with a 3V lithium coin cell I also got at Radio Shack.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just looked on ebay, and temu, all white 5mm leds are 3v min, color ones are lower, i have a bunch of keychain lights with 5mm leds, they seem to have 2x2016 cells, they will work with 1 2032, but not as bright

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now i remember i had to put a resistor in series with 3x N cells, it would fry the led instantly if i did not have it, i made a "pill" with a resistor in it, i had like 1/4in room to fill. so resistor fit just right in there

mrbreezeet1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pointing this out, mrbreeze.

The other way to do it is to use a 3mm LED, only having to remove the lip at the very bottom of the LED encapsulation; instead of having to mod the reflector for the larger 5mm LED.

The other benefit is that a spare 'bulb' then fits in the original tailcap stash.

View attachment 56886
View attachment 56887View attachment 56888
View attachment 56889View attachment 56890

(I didn't take any pics from the front end, but it's a pretty tidy install.)

Having the 'White' in the primary location, and the 'Red' in the tailcap stowage, for example.

For some reason, the beam is much better from the white LED, despite going through the full focus range of the MM original design.

About 5-10 lumens from the White, from doing rough comparisons; the Red was considerably dimmer.
Not too bad considering the original MM was ~14 lumens. I actually still had a functioning incandescent bulb, and really didn't see much difference in output. Beam quality was far better with the white LED.
Good to know! I'll try that too!
Do you have a link to the white bulbs you used?

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, I remember this from way back.
Didn't someone have a kit to use a TL-3 bulb and two 14500s? I think it was called an aurora mod.
Ceramic slug and such.

mrbreezeet1

Newly Enlightened
Excellent, I remember this from way back.
Didn't someone have a kit to use a TL-3 bulb and two 14500s? I think it was called an aurora mod.
Ceramic slug and such.
Gee, Not really sure?
Like I said, Kinda new to this, but pretty good mechanic, retired general mechanic, wood worker, wanna-B metal worker, McGyver of all thing big and small!! LMAO!
Found these on Amazon for $8.00!!

200 Pcs Led Diode, YIWANSON Lights LED Diodes 3mm and 5mm Clear LED Light Emitting Diodes Bulb LED Lamp Red Green Blue Yellow White, for Science Experiment, Circuit, Christmas Lights etc[/H1]

Galane

Newly Enlightened
I want to LED mod one of these. Mine is blue and old enough it says Patent Pending. The bulb is a pitiful little grain of wheat incan that has its thin wires shoved into a couple of holes. Not expecting it to come close to a 2xAA like an Olight i5T Plus but making it an actually usable light that really illuminates things would be nice. It would be seriously crazy to swap the guts of an i5T Plus into it...

Any cheap but decent plastic 2xAA lights to be a donor?