Gone goes the IR filter...

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Well I was a little curious yesterday, so I decided to take things apart and get to the ir filter on my 58mw leadlight, just to see if I could burn anything cool. I successfully poped the crystal loose without damaging anything, and just thought some of you might be curious as to how much power you can gain.

Suprisingly, it's not that much, and I wouldn't even recommend taking the risk of removing the filter. My only noticeable gain is that it can slice trash bags a little better. It will not burn your skin. I am a little doubtful about the output of this laser increasing by 4 to 5 times just by removing this as I've heard stated, as it could already burn bags pretty good. I have yet to test the actual output power, could someone tell me how to do it with an led and multimeter?

DaFiend

Enlightened
Would it work the same? the 532nm wavelength is going to be contaminated with a lot of IR there isn't it. You would definetly get a a truer reading if you can get your hands on a proper meter.

Oh, and i know it doesn't really need to be said but i'm gonna say it any way.......

Be carefull with that thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mm85

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what you mean by it working the same. My interest is in actual output power, not power in a specific wavelength. I'm just curious what the filter actually holds back.

Spec

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mm85 said:
Well I was a little curious yesterday, so I decided to take things apart and get to the ir filter on my 58mw leadlight, just to see if I could burn anything cool. I successfully poped the crystal loose without damaging anything, and just thought some of you might be curious as to how much power you can gain.

Suprisingly, it's not that much, and I wouldn't even recommend taking the risk of removing the filter. My only noticeable gain is that it can slice trash bags a little better. It will not burn your skin. I am a little doubtful about the output of this laser increasing by 4 to 5 times just by removing this as I've heard stated, as it could already burn bags pretty good. I have yet to test the actual output power, could someone tell me how to do it with an led and multimeter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there:

The crystals are in the way. They absorb/splice most of the 808 in a "loose" tolerance system like this. If your really interested in the "power" install a 250mw 808nM diode.

-Spec

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean a 250mw diode with no crystals, so that it is only an ir laser? Couldn't you use a 500mw sony diode in that leadlight? Hmm, who wants to sell their screwed up leadlight so I can make an IR laser???

liteglow

Enlightened
---> If your really interested in the "power" install a 250mw 808nM diode.

YOU got to tell me where to get a dide that powerfull !!!

thanx....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mm85

Newly Enlightened
I thought the one in there was like a 250mw? Where do you get the 500mw sony diodes at that will fit cheap?

Spec

Newly Enlightened
The standard diode is rated at 100mw, but as I have shown, it is a bit forgiving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I start working on getting a batch of 250-350mw diodes. Expect a price somewhere near 45-50 bucks. I have yet to find one with more power in the 5.6mm format.

The 500mw units are 9mm units. They will not fit in the casing... well, not easliy, and definately not a "drop in" replacement.

-Spec

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Where can I find 250mw or greater 5.6mm diodes at? Are they available seperately? All I need to do to use one is change a resistor correct?

DaFiend

Enlightened
Maybe you can use a "transverse Industries" pointer for the housing. They run on "N" size batteries (i think they N), so they are that little bit fatter. I don't have mine at the moment so i can't give you any measurements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Or if you are up for it, Disembowel a mini maglite.......