H13 Philips Visionplus not available in EU?

PolarLi

Enlightened
Does anyone know why the H13 Philips VisionPlus lamps are not available in EU, while H1, H4 and H7 are? Is it not possible to approve this lamp in EU, or is it just the EU market that is too small for that particular lamp? It also appears that Osram don't offer any upgraded H13 lamps in EU :unsure:

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Here is an explanation by the no longer active forum member -Virgil-...

Real shame about the H13. Optically it's cleaner than its predecessor the 9007, but it could've been so much better, and it would've been, if Ford and Sylvania hadn't done their usual "we Americans obviously have all the best ideas and those dumb Europeans are wrong again" dance routine. H13 was supposed to be a new international double-filament bulb suitable for producing good ECE or SAE headlamps. The design the Europeans brought to the table would easily have accomplished that and been a really comprehensive improvement over every previous double-filament headlamp light source worldwide. But, as usual, we got stuck with the Ford/Sylvania design. This is how we got the 9004 bulb in 1983 and the low-wattage halogen sealed beam in 1979, too, as well as low-durability plastic headlamp lenses and half a dozen other "innovations" in automotive lighting that benefit only the automakers' bottom line. The H13 is approved worldwide, but the Europeans won't touch it because while you can make an ECE beam with it, you can't make a very good one. There are other problems with H13, but that's not what this thread is really about, so I'll close here.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Interesting info, thanks for posting!

And just to clarify, you can buy OEM style H13 in EU, just not the +***% stuff.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Interesting info, thanks for posting!

And just to clarify, you can buy OEM style H13 in EU, just not the +***% stuff.

Sorry, I thought you were asking why more vehicles in EU aren't equipped with H13 lamps. I see now what you mean.

I don't know the answer to that but if I had to guess I'd say maybe just low popularity in EU.

What vehicle do you have that uses H13?

PolarLi

Enlightened
Good question, it's a Ski-Doo snowmobile, made in Canada, but the exports (mine) are made in Finland with the same parts, and I do believe the headlights themself had a Hella sticker, made in Mexico. So I guess that explains it all :LOL:

I have not used the sled in proper dark yet, but the common notion seemed to be that the headlights performed worse than the previous model that used H4 lamps.

RHS-113

Newly Enlightened
Europeans would need a US only bulb like an H13 because they import north american vehicles to europe, and those usually still have their DOT/SAE lighting still intact. One example, the first generation Ford F-150 Raptor equipped with halogen headlights uses an H13, and europeans have imported those from North America.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know what happened to Virgil?? (sorry for the off topic)

Apparently there were some disagreements with the site owner on the moderation of this forum. He may have decided to part ways permanently. Hopefully he'll change his mind at some point in the future and return as contributing member.

1990CrownVic

Newly Enlightened
Apparently there were some disagreements with the site owner on the moderation of this forum. He may have decided to part ways permanently. Hopefully he'll change his mind at some point in the future and return as contributing member.
Ok, thanks for the information. Hope Virgil will reconsider his decision. He was very knowledgeable.