HDS Rotary LED selection

cdosrun

Enlightened
I have recently realised that it was over 10 years since a proper torch purchase - they largely ended when I purchased a HDS rotary and I will now treat myself to a new HDS. I would like a 18650 tube as I like the Twisty I have in that form factor but I am in a quandary over the LED. I like high CRI LEDs and am swayed by the Nichia 219B 4500k that Henry has on a limited basis but I have read comments on the tint for these. May I ask if anyone might be able to compare that LED to the Stanley 3J 4500k? I have used the latter for my desk lights and am very pleased with the colour temperature and rendition - if the Nichia is along those lines then I would be happy.

Unfortunately, it looks like the LED is a little old and many threads referencing it have photos that are no longer linked so I should appreciate any constructive feedback on the choice.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Showngo

Newly Enlightened
Here's a recent post comparing a bunch of the top LEDs right now, and differing color temps. Not in an HDS, but hopefully helpful for you to get an idea of what the output looks like:

FWIW, the 219b is a fantastic LED for CRI lovers in general.

LEDphile

Enlightened
The Nichia high-CRI phosphors are among the best in the industry, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with the performance of that LED

cdosrun

Enlightened
Super both, thank you for you prompt responses and the photo comparison is very helpful. It looks like the 219B is the way to go, which is encouraging.

Thank you,

Andrew

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest considering the SDR50. I had the 219b 4500 and 219b 4000. The SDR 5000 will give you a cleaner rendition of colors with less artifacts plus 300 lumens. The 4000 will give you a slightly tan artifact on a white surface and the 4500 will give you a slightly red rose tint on a white surface.

All three are excellent and likely much better than anything available 10 or more years ago.

Last edited:

aZhu

Newly Enlightened
219b_beam_compare.jpg

219b_beam_compare2.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the 219b. Hope these images help.

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
Is it even possible to order a 219b w/ 18680 tube right now? I might be in the market for one soon if so but last I saw they only had custom LED options available for the cr123 copper edition. I had a 4000k I got in 2016 but I lost it in the woods in 2018. Great reliable light.

Edit, looks like the 18680 rotary tubes are out of stock. Guess I'll stick to my current zebralight. I'd go for the 3000k because I like warm white myself.

Last edited:

eff

Enlightened
It's all a matter of tint/lumens preference.
The SDR50 seems to be a limited run, so if you're looking for something special, go for it.
if your favorite colour is orange, then get the SDV30. It's also a limited edition.
If you like the slightly rosy tint of the Nichia and don't mind having 200 lumens instead of 300, then get the NB40 or NB45.

The choice can be hard, but I think I would get the SBR50 (even though the CRI 95 of the NB40/45 is nice too)

Latest posts