HF Bandsaw Motor fix

sortafast

Enlightened
So I was cutting some 1" 6061 square bar to 1.375" chunks and had a part jam up the works. Didn't notice it as I had stepped away and the compressor had just kicked on. By the time I got back, the motor was stupid hot (too several hours to get back to a normal temp thanks to the thick cast iron shell) and it wouldn't turn on. Tried to fire it up the next day and nothing. So I start looking at motors and how much work I would have to do to put one in and it put me to the point of just selling the dang thing and buying a bigger one or a used cold saw. So today I pulled the motor to see what the issue was and if it was just a cap or something. Cap was fine, but I found that there is a Thermal cut-off fuse that no longer had continuity. So I did some searching via the web and found that the Fry's thats 45 min away had one on the shelf. The old part was an SWC SW129T (250v 15A 128°C). The equivalent they had was an NTW 8125. Did the driving, came home, installed it and the motor fired right back up. Apparently there was no damage done other than a couple ties were melted. So, long story short, if you have on of the small HF horizontal bandsaws and the motor dies, check the Thermal Cut-off fuse. Could be the best, cheapest fix.

The part is the shiny little metal bit at the top of the pic

IMG_20141129_153616_120.jpg

wquiles

Flashaholic
So I was cutting some 1" 6061 square bar to 1.375" chunks and had a part jam up the works. Didn't notice it as I had stepped away and the compressor had just kicked on. By the time I got back, the motor was stupid hot (too several hours to get back to a normal temp thanks to the thick cast iron shell) and it wouldn't turn on. Tried to fire it up the next day and nothing. So I start looking at motors and how much work I would have to do to put one in and it put me to the point of just selling the dang thing and buying a bigger one or a used cold saw. So today I pulled the motor to see what the issue was and if it was just a cap or something. Cap was fine, but I found that there is a Thermal cut-off fuse that no longer had continuity. So I did some searching via the web and found that the Fry's thats 45 min away had one on the shelf. The old part was an SWC SW129T (250v 15A 128°C). The equivalent they had was an NTW 8125. Did the driving, came home, installed it and the motor fired right back up. Apparently there was no damage done other than a couple ties were melted. So, long story short, if you have on of the small HF horizontal bandsaws and the motor dies, check the Thermal Cut-off fuse. Could be the best, cheapest fix.

The part is the shiny little metal bit at the top of the pic

IMG_20141129_153616_120.jpg

I got tired of the motor getting too hot, so when working on the new bandsaw stand/project, I installed an USA Made, 3/4HP motor instead. Even after running for a couple of hours is just barely warm:
20140126_154603.jpg

Now, I did not throw away the old motor - I "recycled it" by using it to power my wet brass tumbler (another DIY welding project):
IMG_20141124_174535.jpg

IMG_20141124_174550.jpg

Short video:

sortafast

Enlightened
how are you getting agitation inside the bucket? Did you glue in paddles or something? Been thinking about doing a rotary tumbler for a bit now. I am sitting on a mountain of brass that could use some lovin. Also wondering how stainless steel pins and things would do on aluminum. If it would beat down the machine lines better than the ceramic media I am using.

sortafast

Enlightened
How did you get them to stay? I didn't think buckets liked stuff glued to their insides. You have got me thinking about doing another project now. Not that I need any more.