Hi-beam options. All or one.

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
As you guys may or may not know I have a 2005 silverado imported from the states, now in order to register it I had to jump through some hoops.
One of those hoops was installing a diode across the high and low beams so when on high the lows don't go out. (I don't know why)
Now I finally have it registered, so should I remove this diode or leave it it doesn't really seem m to improve the quality of light.

A bit of an additional question here but I had to pull the side marker bulbs as well because they flashed both front and back when the indicator was on, do you guys think I should put them back in.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I finally have it registered
For lucky best compliance, you should leave it with the changes they required for registration. Undoing the changes is certainly frowned upon.

If sidemarker lamps are permitted (I would expect they're actually REQUIRED), but not permitted to flash, you can just modify the wiring so that they don't flash with the turn signals. Just ground them to the body instead of through the turn signal filament.

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
I am a bit knowledgeable about ADR and ECE regulations and I believe that the low beam needs only be activated if it is part of the hibeams system, which is isn't in North America, and any way the only person who will Se the Hi-beams is the person driving.
Wouldn't removing the diode reduce foreground light and allow me to see better?

Side markers and reflectors are only required if the car is over 7.5m long, I pthink I agree on the sidemarkers and will reconnect them but is there any way to keep the flashing; in phase flashing is legal.

If so do you think I should make only the front flash or both, on the original they both flashed out of phase.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Weren't you going to swap in the earlier taillamps to get the amber rear turn signals? If so, that would take care of the rear sidemarkers, which aren't a separate bulb in those earlier tails. If for whatever reason you're keeping the inferior later taillamps, put back the sidemarker bulb but rewire it as Alaric says so that it never flashes.

You could put the front sidemarker bulb back, but you should wire in a logic module like this so that it flashes in phase with the front and rear turn signals. Unless you have added side turn signal repeaters, then just rewire the front sidemarker so it never flashes.

Headlamp diode: up to you. You could replace the diode with a switch to give you the option of high beams with or without lows.