Impressed by inadvertent storage test of Eneloops.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I bought a Bosch laser distance finder to help with site surveys. I left the job for which I used it sometime in 2013 as I recall. Ended up getting another job in the same field ~2 years later but when I had need of the distance finder again I couldn't find it, so I just bought another. Yesterday I was looking for some tools in my storage locker and found this distance finder in the bottom of a box of random crap (I am slowly sorting and properly storing everything, I promise) brought it home and threw the batteries (4xAAA Eneloops) on my C9000. They charged up to full in less than 15 minutes - low self discharge is apparently real! I am assuming that the cells must have been fully charged when I put it away.

So far I have been using Eneloops or other similar cells (Duraloops, Ikea Ladda, etc.) in everything I can. They even have worked for me in outdoor weather stations and fridge/freezer temp monitoring devices, where they are less than ideal - I figure if they last a couple cycles they are still cheaper than Energizer Lithium.

I gotta admit I'm impressed by this performance. So far I currently only have a handful of devices that I'm using Energizer Lithiums in - off the top of my head, there's a little mini flashlight in the glovebox of my car that's never used, and then the original remote control for an old NEC S-VHS VCR has a LCD display on it that you can't see when powered with NiMH (to be fair, it was made in 1988, so NiMH compatibility was likely not a concern.) Everything else gets NiMH because I've eradicated all alkalines from my life because I noticed that I started getting a lot more leakers 10-15 years ago. In fact I want to say that this very distance finder that prompted this thread I had to flush out once because of leaking alkalines, so it's entirely possible that the Eneloops I found in it are some of the first that I bought, back when you had to mail order them because you couldn't find LSD NiMHs in stores anywhere.

Also validating my use of Eneloops - when you figure how long this was "stored" what do you think the odds are that alkalines would not have leaked in it? Thing still works, so now I have a backup.

NiOOH

Enlightened
These Eneloops are amazing aren't they?
A couple of years ago I found a very old first gen AA Eneloop with a production date of 2006. Must have been one of the first Eneloops I ever got around 2006-2007. The cell have spent at least 6-7 years in a drawer, after serving for many cycles in a set of 4. Just out of curiosity I decided to charge it and then discharge at lower current. To my amazement, the cell could still give over 1600 mAh of capacity at 300 mA discharge current. Not bad for a 15 years old cell! After charging it again, it could power my kitchen wall clock for well over a year.
These things are really robust, and with proper charging last forever. The same could not be said for Eneloop Pro though.