Is the Convoy S2+ still a good budget choice?

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
My Convoy S2 was recently stolen off my motorcycle and need to replace it. I don't want to put my better lights in harms way so I'm considering an S2+ for this role. Things I liked were 18650 powered (I can charge batts while riding or in camp), decent runtime and inexpensive/easily replaced in case of theft. I didn't like the greenish beam. Checking Simon's store there are now many different configurations available. Any suggestions on which to choose? Runtime is more important than absolute output as it may be running a while doing trailside repairs etc.

Any other budget friendly offerings I should consider?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a Sofirn SP32 V2 which I like. I like the UI it has modes and also you can set it to do ramping.

weez82

Enlightened
I have a S2+ with a sst40 5000k and I don't notice any green. I only have 1 so can't say if they all have a good tint. The S2+ is still a good choice for the price and you have so many options for leds. Sofirn also has really good choices around the same price as the S2+

3_gun

Enlightened
Yes the S2+ is still a good light. Got mine in the sst40 5000k & like it a lot. Is a bit more of a thrower than you might want for up close work. You might want to look at some headlamps as many/most can be removed & used as a handheld too. I got a Sofirn D25s for less than the cost of a S2+ & it works great

Poppy

Flashaholic
The S2+ continues to be on the annual list of "Favorite budget light of the year XXXX"
I must have 8 of them. If you get it with the biscottii firmware, you'll have more output choices than with the 3-5 mode.
I have a couple with 4x 7135 chips, instead of 6 or 8, which gives lower output on each mode selection, and extended run times.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Definitely stay with the S2+ platform. As you can see, it's not the end of the world if it gets lost or stolen.

I'd get one with the LH351D. It will have a bit broader of a beam, more useful for your particular application.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The S2+ continues to be on the annual list of "Favorite budget light of the year XXXX"
I must have 8 of them. If you get it with the biscottii firmware, you'll have more output choices than with the 3-5 mode.
I have a couple with 4x 7135 chips, instead of 6 or 8, which gives lower output on each mode selection, and extended run times.
If there was a poll in the budget light section the Convoy would probably be on the podium every year.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
Definitely stay with the S2+ platform. As you can see, it's not the end of the world if it gets lost or stolen.

I'd get one with the LH351D. It will have a bit broader of a beam, more useful for your particular application.
This ^

I have a bunch of S2+s and the LH351D in 3,500k is one of my favorites. I think it has a better beam profile in the S2+ than the SST-20 does.

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help everyone, think I'll order a couple to check out. A headlamp was suggested and I do carry a Zebralight H600 but it's in my pack and not left on the bike. Hadn't considered Sofirn but will check them out too, my C01S lives in my riding jacket for tent/last ditch usage.

Thanks again folks.