Joestretch's LIGHT STICK CHALLENGE!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Joestretch\'s LIGHT STICK CHALLENGE!!

Well, I have been checking out this board for a while and am convinced that it is frequented by many brilliant minds with bright Ideas. (pun intended)

My challenge is this, I am trying to design a lighted cost effective, reusable "stick" for use in a theatrical performance / song interpretation.

Ideally the stick would use an LED or some type of Electro-Luminescence possibly in conjunction with fiber optics.

Chem-Lum sticks could work but I don't know of anyone that makes them in this size.(see specs) If I was to stack them up it would get to be quite pricey as I would require 2 sticks for each actor, 24 sticks total. Also there would be multiple performances. Oh, It would be nice to be able to turn them off as well.

I have seen a few different "glow powders/paints" but have not had the opportunity to try any of them and am unsure if any would be bright enough.

The specifications for the sticks are:

Size/materials: The stick needs to be rigid in nature and a length of appx.3 ft. with a thickness of no more than 1 inch no less than 1/2 inch. The stick can be constructed of
Any materials readily available.

Visibility: The light should be visible nearly the full length of the stick and from all angles ( the stick cannot be lit on only one side or just part of the stick)The stick needs to be bright enough to be seen on a dark/partially lit stage at a distance from
at least 40 feet away. (no real color preference)

POWER;The stick needs to be self-contained; power supply must be part of the stick.
The stick should produce it's own light and not be dependent on reflecting any
other light source.

Price: under $10. per stick (including batteries)

If you have any Ideas for me please POST THEM HERE! Thanks again for any input.

TO SHOW MY APPRECIATION! Not only will you receive unlimited bragging rights, The design I choose will win One Photon II light of your color choice !

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by joestretch on 10-16-2000 at 02:52 PM</font>

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Joestretch\'s LIGHT STICK CHALLENGE!!

Hmmmmm nothing like asking for the impossible. Given the stringent budget and the probability that these sticks "I would guess" are going to be bounced around, I would go with the KISS principle KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
Go with UV sensitive paint on a dowl-rod and hit them with blacklights. You should be able to find most of this stuff at a Michaels and Spencer Gifts.

Brock

Flashaholic

I would also suggest the UV route. You could get maybe 3 wildfire units (8" Fresnel with a UV element in it). I work in a Big roadhouse so I have seen it all. Famous People Players uses 64 4' black light tubes and then uses UV paint to light up what ever they want seen, pretty neat actually. But I see the wildfire units a lot more now with shows.

Brock

K Horn

Newly Enlightened

If you use this idea, just remember mine was posted before Brock's...... Besides his wife says he has too many lights anyways....<g>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the good input so far, shout-outs to KHorn, Brock, and Ed!

Both a great Idea, however, I forgot to mention that these performances will be on an outdoor and with little to no external power available I'm not sure If we'd be able to run those lights. (I didn't say this would be easy) If we can power them I agree that that's the way to go.

On the price part of things, we could go to maybe around $12. Per stick.

The sticks don't have to be shock resistant, just sturdy. The actors using them won't be throwing them or anything like that.

My initial Idea was to find some sort of rod, or even maybe a piece of ½ inch square (cut from a big sheet ) acrylic or plexiglass that allowed the light from a colored LED to shine through the sides. An Led could be put in the end with a few button cells and hook a switch up.

You both are right in that KISS is the way to go here especially to keep costs down.
I'm thinking of the Chem-lum glowstick route using 2 glowstick necklaces in a clear rod of some sort. However, I'm not sure how cold it's gonna be (probably near freezing) and I don't want to have the things freeze on me and get dim

I have come across a few different glow powders/paints, I'm thinking these might be of some value. The manufacturer claims that when "charged by a Uv or fluorescent light
This stuff will glow over 14 hours due to a new , safer chemical in the glow formula, which is "10x" more effective than the old glow stuff. (but also 10 x more expensive)
(http://www.extremeglow.com/) I'm gonna buy some and investigate further.

I found a neat web-site last night that has an interesting product called "lightning wire"
(http://opticglow.bigstep.com/homepage.html)

Also EdWood (thanks Ed !!) pointed me to (http://www.neontrim.com/) for a similar looking product. Both are promising, but not cheap and power supply would be a problem. As they require an inverter.

Keep the posts coming!! I'm sure we'll come up with something!

Brock

Flashaholic

Maybe plain old Glow Tape over the rod? And then charge it offstage with a 4' double blacklight? Although these might not be brightenough, also you wouldn't be able to turn it on and off.

Off to LDI in Vegas (Big theatrical sound and lighting convention) I will look for something new there for you.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'll look for a longer transparent plastic tube to replace the cone of Princeton Tec Sports Flare 2AA...

Princeton TEC Sport Flare

or transparent plastic tube that any 2AA or 4AA flashlight bezel/head will fit in...and replace batteries with Lithium AA for low temperature use.

------------------
2d_edge

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by 2d_edge on 10-17-2000 at 09:30 AM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ted,
Not a bad Idea with the way laser pointers have become so cheap. Any ideas where to find plexi rods anyone? Also maybe there is some sort of fiberglass rods somewhere where the strands inside would act as a reflector?

yes on the pocket bright if I go with that idea. And to anyone else interested keep your thinking caps on, the challenge is still ongoing. (this may take a while) But I will keep my word, to whoever's Idea I go with.

Harri

Newly Enlightened

I don't think the laser would light it up in any way - except the end. The light goes in with a very tight beam, it needs something to scatter it so it could find it's way out from the side of the tube - otherwise it will travel in a direct line to the end of the rod and shine out from there.

from the price limit... I'd consider the UV system also.

Harri Suvanto

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...how about drilling a hole in the end of a plexi rod, dropping in a keychain laser, and capping the ends with reflective material, like mylar. Would this light up the thing? I haven't tried it, just thought of it.. can I get a Pocketbright instead of a Photon???

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Harri,
that's what the mirrors on the ends are for, they face inwards towards the center of the rod, to scatter the light.(but you may still be right)

Joestretch,
..I know you can find lots of plastic rod stock at Canal Plastics on Canal St. (and W. Broadway) in NYC..that helps alot, right? I'll search around on the net for other sources:
try: http://www.boedeker.com/acryl_p.htm
for plexiglas rod stock..
...and I see cheap laser pens at Costco from time to time...

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Ted on 10-18-2000 at 02:15 PM</font>

DaveH

Enlightened

How about:

Plastic (lucite?) rod,
Photon II cemeted on one end,
Aluminum foil reflective tape on opposite end of rod,
Rod sides abraded with sandpaper, etc. to promote disfusion of light.

I might try this myself, Halloween coming up...

DaveH

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

For UV light what about those handheld UV spotlights that plug into a cars cigarette lighter plug?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dave, I was kinda thinking along the same lines, Ted, also a grat Idea.

I'm wondering what would hapen if I used Ted's laser Ideaprojecting the laser through a hollow plastic rod filled with some sort of fluid. (maybe water or water with sediment or maybe powdered aluminum. Also what about some sort of multifaceted end instead of just a plain mirror. bounce the laser back and forth a bunch of times and it just may light up the tube.

I'm wondering if the same setup with a Photon light and some glow powder that reacts with the light would do anything neat.

THe original UV idea could work as well if UV LEDS could be found cheap enough. Strangely enough Chemlum sticks will still glow after theyre dead when UV light is applied.

I guess I have some good ideas, I just need to do some experimenting. Not sure what to do if I come up with a hybrid idea using more than one person's input. We'll figure something out!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You know what, i am guilty of one thing..blindly posting this message without reading everyone elses posts...oh well, here it goes.....I am unaware if anyone has suggested this, but you may be able to score a quantity deal with some one on krill lights. The are supposedly break resistent, and the batteries last a long while. In the long run, they will work better and last longer than the homemade devices previously posted. I dont know how you feel on these "crude" homemade devices, but i know you said that these are to be used outdoors. Good luck with your endeavors!!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well the votes are in, (at least for me) The winning idea is DaveH although I used the Oracle Navigator light available at my local Menards for only $2.99 Not a bad little light for the money. The rod was available in 6 ft. lengths and I cut it in half and polished the light end. a piece of shrink tubing and a drop of glue and we're in business.

I'll post pictures of the finished product this week. Total cost per stick looks like about $4.75

Thanks for all the ideas.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah give the prize to DaveH...great idea...glad I thought of it!
What a rip!
....I was first to mention the plexiglas rod, the light source on the end, the reflective end caps, how can joestretch give the 'prize' to some one who suggested the MY idea, only with a different brand of light for the source? Which stretch didn't even use, anyway..?
rolleyes.gif

The essential idea; of a plexiglas rod being able to conduct the light, (and a post with an info link about it,) was mine. Stretch is being extremely unfair -
don't you all agree?
(if you don't, to heck with you in advance.)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Ted on 11-23-2000 at 03:42 PM</font>

DaveH

Enlightened

Wow, I didn't realize...

I would like to gratefully acknowledge I exapnded on a previous idea, "if I have seen further it is only because I have stood on the shoulder of giants."

Or something like that.

DaveH