Kingston's "Hood"

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
My "hood" lost a cat yesterday. No big deal, just another cat you say. I would have been inclined to say the same except I had been accepted into the "hood" by Kingston the cat.

We moved to the "hood" ten months ago. My wife and I walk a miniature schnauzer named Charlie. During spring and early summer while walking I noticed a couple of calico cats that were down the way closer to the exit of the subdivision. As time went by one of those cats would come closer to us as we went through. Then one day Kingston came up to us and rubbed up against Charlie and then me. I kept Charlie in check with the leash and reached down to pet Kingston and eventually read his name and owners address on his collar. I was surprised at how friendly he was and how agreeable to allowing me to have my hands around his neck to read the tag. After our encounter he went on about his business in that cool way only cats can.

The next time we walked by Kingston greeted us by rubbing up against Charlie and then proceeded to tackle him by jumping on his back and neck. He pulled Charlie down by wrapping his paws and front legs around Charlie's neck and rolling off to the side. Charlie was surprised but he took it pretty well and Kingston continued to be playful. He spent quite a bit of time with us that day and of course went on about his business. We would see Kingston from time to time and he would always greet us. Sometimes spending several minutes with us and sometimes when he appeared to have other things on his agenda he would spend just a few seconds with us and go on about his way. He never failed to greet us. Sometimes he would even walk a block or two with Charlie and me.

As time went by I would notice him greeting other people in his "hood". I saw joggers and kids and other neighbors bent over petting him and rubbing his belly. He seemed to love that most as he would always go belly up if he had the time. My wife and I would compare stories about Kingston as we take turns walking Charlie. He never failed to greet her as well. We would always ask each other if we had seen Kingston after a walk.

Yesterday my wife told me that a neighbor had seen a cat matching Kingston's description run over in the "hood". The neighbor called the city to have it removed. I went to see but he was already gone. I went to the owners house and told him my fear and what a great cat Kingston had been. I hope it wasn't him but I know it was. It was in an area he crossed the road at. I warned him every time I saw him there. Of course he would just give me back that cool cat 'tude and go on about his business. He owned that "hood".

There were other things about Kingston's interaction with me like the day he gave me a love bite. I saw it coming. He had a paw around my wrist and then I saw the teeth. I could have pulled my finger away but I remember trying to trust him and I said oh well here we go. It was very gentle and I have no idea why he did it but I trusted him more from then on. You see I have never really liked cats. I don't know that much about them. I am really going to miss Kingston though.

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
Re: Kingstons "Hood"

Sorry about your loss. For those that don't like cats, they can be just as good and loyal companion as dogs (but not without their cat-quirks!)

sabre7

Enlightened

Sorry about your loss-- like a dog, every cat has its own totally unique personality and thats part of what makes it hard to deal with when you lose one you cared about.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I completely understand your loss. When I have the time I'll post my story about a grey cat that came around my house.:sigh:

Last edited:

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for your loss, i can relate.

The feral cat i was good friends with died on Tuesday.
He was completely wild and would only come near me and one other family member, but the two of us could hand feed and pet this guy freely, saw him everyday.

He was very tough, has had may fights( came by messed up several times) and dealt with long winters. But had been very ill recently. We provided what ever comfort we could but i found him dead in his usual hiding spot earlier this week.

He was just a random wild cat that decided to be friends with us, expected nothing and showed great affection. we will miss him, but sharing here helps

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for your loss, i can relate.

The feral cat i was good friends with died on Tuesday.
He was completely wild and would only come near me and one other family member, but the two of us could hand feed and pet this guy freely, saw him everyday.

He was very tough, has had may fights( came by messed up several times) and dealt with long winters. But had been very ill recently. We provided what ever comfort we could but i found him dead in his usual hiding spot earlier this week.

He was just a random wild cat that decided to be friends with us, expected nothing and showed great affection. we will miss him, but sharing here helps

Sad about everyone's loss

I take them in when there is room at the inn. There remains no doubt in my mind that they are natures masterpiece.

Anyone who does not have one or two is missing out.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

+2!!

This is a great story, albeit with a sad ending. Thanks for sharing - the story brought a couple of smiles to my face. :)

He sounded like a cool cat. :twothumbs Love bites from cats hurt... but they're worth it IMHO. :laughing:

Kingston: Thanks for making this world a better place, in your own way!

:thumbsup: john

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the kind words regarding the loss of Kingston. I felt that he was special enough that he deserved to be remembered in some way and writing about him here was part of that. I have passed along to my wife the kind things that you have said and she is touched that you do so. She said she has cried a lot of tears for Kingston.

Hopefully we take something positive away from this. That no matter how small your stature or place in life you can make a difference if you are willing to be friendly to everyone you meet. To ignore stereotypes and prejudices and have fun with all who cross your path. To welcome everyone into your "hood". If Kingston has a legacy it should be that.

On a lighter note. Be willing to be vulnerable. Maybe by going belly up somebody just might rub it for you. :eek:
Well hopefully you get my point :ohgeez:
Toons out! :poof:

Last edited: