LED bulbs suck!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
+

You can get filament led bulbs that are DC powered,
I have several in different voltages that run off various power sources (batteries 2S~4S or powerbanks)
Also worth a mention that practically any LED bulb (or tube) will run off high voltage DC. Some bulbs start to light up at only a few tens of volts. Others might stay dark until you're past 100 VDC. Generally most of them will get to full brightness around 150 VDC or higher. This makes sense given that practically all LED bulbs use a full-wave bridge rectifier. The circuitry uses the high-voltage rectified DC to supply power to the emitters. You get DC on the output of the bridge whether the input is AC or DC. I actually used this to my advantage once to get rid of flicker in LED tubes. I put a full-wave bridge rectifier and large capacitor inside the fluorescent fixture I was converting to LED. This gave a nice, steady ~165VDC which drove the LED tubes without flicker. There wasn't room for a larger filter cap inside the tubes.

Those bulbs using a capacitor-fed full-wave bridge which both rectifies AC, and limits current, won't light at all on DC.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently after looking a lot of my problem is the brands I've bought over the years. Utilitech lights of America and feit (which one member here said did well for them) are some of the most problematic. Hmmmmm. The plot thickens.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently after looking a lot of my problem is the brands I've bought over the years. Utilitech lights of America and feit (which one member here said did well for them) are some of the most problematic. Hmmmmm. The plot thickens.

I did mention having good luck with Feit, but at the time I bought them I considered them a bottom tier brand but gave them a try because they were cheap and advertised as high CRI. It's entirely possible that prior to that their reputation was deserved, and I believe I mentioned that their "100W equivalent" bulbs worked well but had shockingly short life, so there's that.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit skeptical of some of the 100W equiv. typically 12-14W in A19-ish format. Most of them seem to run hot to very hot on the collar. I think it's pushing the limits of that form factor. Around here these get used where not turned on for long periods, in closets and basement etc.. No idea of the lifetime but probably nowhere near what's claimed.

Unless OP comes back with any detail, at this point I think it's mostly a rant, not much more to be done.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights of America...yikes! I thought they were long gone. Some just started showing up in surplus department of a Canadian chain, for whatever reason.

Dave

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Most of my filament led bulbs are from Lighting Science; 2.5W ~ 5W in those,, have several 6 pack boxes
(those are the bulbs I've had outside for years & years)

,,bought out my local Menards when they went on clearance
After clearance price & 11% store rebate, I paid around $1.25/bulb... unbelievable value per joy.
Also have some Sylvania & some no-name filament led

No, LED bulbs don't suck!!___:)

twall13

Newly Enlightened
This thread title caught my attention as my experience mirrors that of the OP. I've tried three different brands and have had failures in all three over the course of the last 5 years. I suspect my issue is with my electrical system, and not the bulbs. Every so often a large power draw (a/c unit kicking on, etc.) will cause the lights to dim slightly in the house for a split second and I think that's killing the bulbs. I plan on ordering some dimmable LED bulbs to see if I have better luck with them.

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
Ya dude I hate LED bulbs almost as much as I hate fluorescent ones. I refuse to use anything other than incandescent bulbs in my house. Sucks to have to pay out the *** for them on eBay now. Wish I'd had the foresight to fill 10 storage units with them before our rulers took them away from us.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya dude I hate LED bulbs almost as much as I hate fluorescent ones. I refuse to use anything other than incandescent bulbs in my house. Sucks to have to pay out the *** for them on eBay now. Wish I'd had the foresight to fill 10 storage units with them before our rulers took them away from us.
Remember, just because you are being paranoid, does not mean that everyone is not out to get you

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This thread title caught my attention as my experience mirrors that of the OP. I've tried three different brands and have had failures in all three over the course of the last 5 years. I suspect my issue is with my electrical system, and not the bulbs. Every so often a large power draw (a/c unit kicking on, etc.) will cause the lights to dim slightly in the house for a split second and I think that's killing the bulbs. I plan on ordering some dimmable LED bulbs to see if I have better luck with them.
Definitely try the dimmable ones. Without getting into a dissertation on electronics suffice it to say the circuitry which enables dimming also adds another layer of protection from surges and spikes.

Another potential cause of the problems already mentioned in this thread is running bulbs base up. This can potentially cause the electronics to run too hot in the higher wattage equivalents. However, as we get ever more efficient, this problem should disappear. The 60 watt equivalents I bought recently only use 4 watts. Maybe they make 1.5 watts of waste heat. They practically run at room temperature. It should be the same once we have 200+ lm/W bulbs on the market for 100 and 150 watt equivalents.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been checking local outlets, including HD, for the new 4W Philips bulb, have not seen any so far. Still, the next best 60W eq. filament bulbs at 6.5W-7W typically, are still pretty good.

Also wondering how reliability of filament bulbs compares with SMT LED bulbs as their construction and thermals are different. Depends on the drivers of course. I suspect most filament bulbs can use linear regulators as the filament voltages are designed to do so (e.g. 70v each, 2S combos for 120vac bulbs).

Typical cheap SMT LED bulb has a series resistor in the base but little if any filtering or other protection; one did have a transient suppressor diode though. Diode bridge is usually rated 400v.

Usage/environment matters including use in partially/fully enclosed fixtures and as noted base-up or down (or sideways...). That's what I am asking OP (if still around) and others complaining of bulb failures.

Dave

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced our incandescent lights in our building lobby 8 years ago with LED lights. They have been working 24/7 365 without a single failure. They are not in an enclosed fixture so they don't get that hot. The bulbs that we put in enclosed fixtures last about a year. I think it's the heat that is the deciding factor in the lifespan of the bulbs.
I have found that enclosed fixtures are the death knell for my LED bulbs. Fortunately, I don't have that many enclosed fixtures. My power company "gave away" 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs a few years ago so I haven't bought any new ones lately. I have two dozen that should last me a long time. I do have a 150 watt equivalent in my kitchen that has been holding up well for a few years so far. I didn't put the globe over it on that fixture to keep it cool.

There are bulbs designed to tolerate enclosed fixtures that seem to hold up well. Can't recall the brand.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have found that enclosed fixtures are the death knell for my LED bulbs. Fortunately, I don't have that many enclosed fixtures. My power company "gave away" 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs a few years ago so I haven't bought any new ones lately. I have two dozen that should last me a long time. I do have a 150 watt equivalent in my kitchen that has been holding up well for a few years so far. I didn't put the globe over it on that fixture to keep it cool.

There are bulbs designed to tolerate enclosed fixtures that seem to hold up well. Can't recall the brand.
Stands to reason, same with flashlights. Those high powered ones with lousy heat sync cook themselves to death much faster than those with a good way of disipating it.

I bought some filament type 25 watt equivilent bulbs for a lamp with a lamp shade but have not used any yet because the curly fry currently in it is still going.

Last edited: