LED strip spiral wound on tube

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a thrift store, a 16-foot 3xAA LED strip was found for about $3. Nothing exceptional, older, uses 5mm white LEDs spaced 4" apart; no light effects, just on/off and timer.

Strip was spiral-wound around a 3-foot cardboard shipping tube about 4" diameter, for about two feet. Effect is quite nice especially in the dark, as tube circumference is slightly more than a foot, so position of LEDs for each turn are slight offset from the last, creating three gentle spirals.

It also runs for a very long time (days) on alkalines or zinc-carbon down to 1v and below, albeit at lower intensity; cells are essentially "free".

Initial prototype was wound in about 20 minutes using tape. I may rewind to fill the whole 3 feet. Calculation for diameter/pitch of spiral versus length could have been used, I skipped over for now.

I may try this with a piece of 3-4" plastic pipe, PVC or ABS, black or white (grey doesn't sound great); possibly using RGB strip; have already done this using thin 3/4" PVC with good results. A pipe flange on bottom could provide support.

Dave

Attachments

• LED_strip_tube_tower_m.JPG
    LED_strip_tube_tower_m.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 114

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a cardboard tube 3" diameter 27" long, on to it spiral-wrapped a 16.5 foot RGB LED strip (ordinary cheap kind cost under $10). Winding pitch was about 1-1/4" for total 19 turns which took most of the length. Strip LED spacing is 2.5" which created four gradual spirals down the length. Nice effect, easy to do and hardly cost anything.

Dave