Looking for 5000K drop-in replacement for tungsten/halogen MR16

wus

Newly Enlightened
We have around 25 12V tungsten/halogen (with 20,35 and 50W) MR16 spots with GU5.3 sockets in our house that I want to replace by LED drop-in replacements. I'm a daylight fan so they should have around 5000K color temp, and very good colour rendition. They don't need to be dimmable, and I don't care much about the beam angle - anything from 12 to 60° would be fine. They should work off 12V AC. Some of our existing transformers are classic (magnetic), others electronic, with output in the supersonic kHz range.

Am I totally blind or does something like this really not exist?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
At HD in U.S. and Canada I'm seeing a number of products from Luminus, Ecosmart, Feit and other brands which fall into this category; typically $5-$6 each in small volume. Other big-box retailers should have similar.

Dave

wus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip, but it seems you overlooked my first sentence. At least I did not find a single MR16 GU5.3 drop-in replacement on the websites of Luminus, Ecosmart and Feit.

HD in the U.S. and Canada seems to be too generic an abbreviation for me to find who you mean. If the really have what I am looking for: do you have a link for me, please?

LEDphile

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip, but it seems you overlooked my first sentence. At least I did not find a single MR16 GU5.3 drop-in replacement on the websites of Luminus, Ecosmart and Feit.

HD in the U.S. and Canada seems to be too generic an abbreviation for me to find who you mean. If the really have what I am looking for: do you have a link for me, please?
Assuming you are in North America, you need to look harder: https://www.feit.com/technology/led...mperature=5000&really_curr_tax=662-technology

HD is the "orange home improvement retailer"

It may also be helpful to specify what part of the world you are in - different regions have different regulatory requirements and different product availability. As this is an English-language forum, many folks assume that users are in North America unless otherwise stated.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read and understood your posting. Try web search (not limited to Google) using term such as "MR16 LED GU5.3 daylight", or some combination. Since we don't know your location, and whether you want to shop online and/or over the counter, I'll leave it to you.

Example from HD U.S.:

Problem with some web search engines is their tendency to initially pop up Amazon, eBay, Walmart before much else. Also some website search engines are not great, you may have to try different search terms. If it's there you should find it.

Lots of big-box retailers have these: Home Depot, Lowes, etc. in U.S; and in Canada those plus Home Hardware, Canadian Tire etc.
Best to go directly to their websites.

Dave

brickbat

Enlightened
SORAA has 4000K MR16 lamps. No 5000K as far as I know. Their 'VIVID' lamps have 95+ CRI and are pretty much 'best in class', with a price to match. NICE lamps. They're offered in only '50W equivalent' and in three beam widths.

BTW, why don't you add your location to your profile? It matters if you're asking 'what to buy' questions. SORAA, e.g. is a US-based company, and their products are readily available here.

wus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your efforts, @Dave_H. Unfortunately, your links don't work for me: Access denied! I live in Germany, I guess they lock me out based on my location.

Edit: sorry I just noticed that I overlooked your other link to Feit. This works, and it looks like they could have the product that I'm looking for. I will order a 3-pack to try via eBay.

Last edited: