Looking for tips on building alternative to drop-in

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really follow this forum section anymore: too many machined lights.

This month or two, I am building a light weight wrist lights (mainly), which is a simple one or two 18650 plastic holder + driver + switch + led and reflector. I am covering the electronics, simply by gluing durable, light weight, black foam core as the shell, to bump water resistance and aesthetics. Aluminum lights, exp. 2 18650 and fully aluminum, are just too heavy for what they do, btw.

So, my knowledge is a little deficient on some tricks that I could use.

1. I am guessing 2/22 gauge wire is best to solder onto a star. (?) I have had no luck with solid wire. Maybe more strands or lighter wire? Also, should I get a special thinner gauge solder to avoid large ball of solder on joint, or just file off excess? What if the ball and wire break off, taking conductive pad off board? (Would conductive paint work to replace metal soldering pad?)

2. I am not happy with reflector size of a p60 dropin (I want xml or mtg output with xpg2 throw), and thinking I should buy a good 40+ mm reflector. This may mean I need to invent my own heat slug and transfer system. So, I am wondering best amateur source of something that will work. Some thing small (pill cap size), light, available, to transfer heat from back of star.