Lowest-cost candle lighting ?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Has anyone run the numbers i.e. minimum cost per hour of runtime ?
Tea candles @ 10.8 cents each, seem to beat out the candles that fit my candle lanterns.
There are also the bulk disposable 'liquid candle' lanterns on ebay.
Just wondering if there is anything I've missed; thx.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Never bought tea candles until this Fall.
These are taller cups and have more wax in them,, they will actually go for 8hrs..

Doing the 'subscribe' deal, they are $.16 each after tax for the 300 case
I'd recommend/buy them again

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Only ever used tea candles for romantic encounters, and the rare boiling water for cooking outdoors.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Orbital, that's a good find; twice as tall for only 50% more cost per candle.
Question for you; when it is low, do you find that the flame is partly obscured by the aluminum cup ?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
FWIW, I just ordered the UCO mini candle lantern on Amazon, $17.50. I like how it utilizes the tea candles, a good flexible fuel option with those being so prevalent. I find myself burning bare tea candles once in a while for mood, this will make that a better option - besides just emergency usage anyhow.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+

Never bought tea candles until this Fall.
These are taller cups and have more wax in them,, they will actually go for 8hrs..

Doing the 'subscribe' deal, they are $.16 each after tax for the 300 case
I'd recommend/buy them again

Reading the reviews on those, the product seems to have taken a turn for the worse ~Nov, with recent reviews being rather poor in comparison. So I'm not sure about getting these or not. :-/

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading the reviews on those, the product seems to have taken a turn for the worse ~Nov, with recent reviews being rather poor in comparison. So I'm not sure about getting these or not. :-/
+

I burn mine inside and they burn completely (in glass holders) My house is in the mid 50s' at night.
Maybe ambient temp is a factor on burn.

Thinking about it, shorter cups may work better for your lantern setup.

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
Estate sales are the place for buying candles. Got a box of 50 normal size tea candles & 5boxes/3ea plumbers candles for $4 total. Shoe boxes of new/partly used/mismatched taper candles can be had for $5. Eneloop kit w/AA, AAA, 2C&D adapter & charger, new in 7/20 for $7.50. 2 or 3 C/D cell Maglites for 2 or 3 dollars each, often with upgraded bulbs installed. Thing is this kinda stuff usually doesn't rate a pix unless it's part of a camper/prepper kit

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For those who prefer full-sized candles. Be sure to raid the nearest .99 Cent Store for cheap candle-holders. The one in my neighborhood has rather fancy-looking ones that look as though they're made from crystal. Not sure what they're made out of. Not plastic. But they work well.

TPA

Enlightened
Ikea! That's where I buy a lot of my candles. Ikea currently showing 100 tealights for $5.99 ($0.059/each) and Walmart's currently showing 100 tealights for $4.97 ($0.049/each)

Only ever used tea candles for romantic encounters, and the rare boiling water for cooking outdoors.
What about powering LEDs? I have three of these and use them a couple of times a week:

FWIW, I just ordered the UCO mini candle lantern on Amazon, $17.50. I like how it utilizes the tea candles, a good flexible fuel option with those being so prevalent. I find myself burning bare tea candles once in a while for mood, this will make that a better option - besides just emergency usage anyhow.
I have a few of these but I don't care for them that much. The metal frame blocks too much of the already low lumens coming out of the tealight candle. If I'm not burning them in a proper candle holder, I just toss them into a stemless wine glass with a little bit of water on the bottom. Works well for votives as well.

TPA

Enlightened
One other benefit of candles: They don't go bad and tealights are relatively compact. I get 4 hrs of burn time with the Ikea/Walmart tealights. I like the predictability of them. If I have 100 candles, I have 400 hrs, or 100 nights' of light since realistically you're not going to blow out and re-light a tealight candle, especially in the Joi lantern. The 4 hour "auto shutoff" feature of the tealights works out pretty nicely as well. With the Joi lantern, the LEDs will start to dim before the candle goes out, giving you time to replace the candle if another 4 hours is needed. And the LEDs will stay lit for a little while after the candle is removed, making the process easier.

The Joi lanterns aren't cheap, but they're meant for off-grid, constant use and built like it.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have been admiring those Joi lanterns for a while now, and have been tempted honestly.
I can't afford something that only works for a few years; are they really that solid ?

TPA

Enlightened
@Kestrel : They are substantial. These aren't your typical Ikea candle lanterns. They're definitely designed to sit in one place and not good for portable use, ie: I wouldn't take one camping. But around the house, on the patio, they're fine. The dome on top is connected to the base using two retractable antennas, so it has the same limitations an old TV antenna would.

I bought all of mine on clearance. I don't remember the price paid, but it wasn't cheap, but wasn't full retail either. Mine are still going after 4 years. The warm glow of the candle + brightness of the LED light is very attractive to me, thus I find myself using them far more often than just a regular candle or just emergencies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not a candle. But I do have an antique 6-inch brass base, glass oil lamp coming in the mail. Not exactly portable. But gives a good amount of light for use at home. And, if you carry it carefully, you can take it from room to room.

TPA

Enlightened
I've never used an oil lamp or fuel-powered lantern. Very curious about them. I've always wanted an Aladdin lamp.