lumintop fwaa flat top only?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I was told it's flattop 14500 only I'm hoping they was wrong. Are they?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I agree I hate it can't use aa but I'm happy it's under 3 inches and 1400 lumens

boo5ted

Enlightened
I dont really get the point of the AA format if 1,5v cells cant be used. Thats kinda the whole point innit?

The whole point of the format is that it was designed from the start to use 14500 cells, not AA. Anduril (at the time of design) was only able to run on Li ion cells. Naming it FW"AA" is pretty dumb though because most will look at that as it can be used with AA batteries. Then name should have just been FW3A Mini imo.

That being said, I've only used Vapcells (purple H10 and the gold ones) in my FWAA and they only work with the flat top cells. The ones with the button top are too long.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Is it weird mine is like 75mm long . On the website it should be 71mm

raggie33

*the raggedier*
The button tops are working but around 10 percent lower output . Same brand Batts. And same capacity

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Ps I would of made this my favorite light but no Alkalines in emergency sucks

boo5ted

Enlightened
Ps I would of made this my favorite light but no Alkalines in emergency sucks
If I remember correctly Sofrin was supposed to be making a 14500 light with anduril that uses AA and 14500. Not sure if it's been released yet or still in development. I think it's the SP10 pro.

The button tops are working but around 10 percent lower output . Same brand Batts. And same capacity

What's the discharge rates? The higher the rate usually the higher the output from the light. At least that's how it was explained to me lol.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason the FWAA calls for Flat Tops is because they are shorter than many button tops. Flat tops are usually Unprotected, and button tops are usually Protected.

The FWAA UI has built in LVP. Flat top UnProtected allows the light to reach maximum output, without tripping a battery protection circuit.

Unprotected cells have higher discharge rates (10A), than Protected cells (usually 3A). So for max output, flat top unprotected, high discharge, will outperform a protected button top.

Protected cells are longer, this may prevent the light from closing far enough for the inner signal tube to make contact with the driver.

Using Protected cells in a High Drain Light, can trigger the Battery protection circuit, so the light suddenly shuts off. After battery protection is tripped, the battery reads 0 Volts until the protection is reset, by charging.

so, use UnProtected cells in the FWAA.. even if they are Unprotected button tops, as long as the battery does not exceed 50.5mm in length, they will work in the FWAA.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
anyone ever check runtime on the lower ramps? like on ramp 1 thru 3?