Lupine Piko X Duo arrives. Wow!

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
My Lupine Piko X Duo arrived yesterday afternoon. I'll do a more complete review with photos as time permits, but a few quick observations.

1. This is a very small, very light headlamp. Wearing it is completely comfortable. The battery at the rear and the lamp at the front are so light as to be unobtrusive when worn.

2. A high quality item; it arrives in a very well-made, zipper-closed pouch that stores the spare battery, charger and adapters. The lamp itself is meticulously finished and anodized.

3. The Smartcore batteries have a red LED display, which gives you a quick read as to remaining battery power. These LEDs can also be used to stay illuminated and act as a rear red light when cycling, doing rescue work, etc, where you want an added degree of visibility from the rear.

4. Bright. As a previous reviewer on this forum wrote, this light is the Noisy Cricket (reference the movie Men in Black) of headlamps. I haven't done specialized testing or output measurements, etc, but trying this on last night in a dark rural setting next to my new Eagletac G25C2 flashlight, the Piko X is brighter in my opinion/to my observation on repeated illuminations than the G25C2 when using the diffuser on the G25C2. That said, the Eagletac with the diffuser off has further throw than the Piko. The Piko is rated at the high end at 900 lumens. I wanted something I could use for night fishing, and this casts more than enough light for slower speed night fishing. I am utterly amazed by its power. The four levels of light also give a really good range from full on 900 lumens to a much lower light/longer lived battery for around the camp/doing minor tasks. The light is a very pleasant white light with no discernable yellow to my eye.

5. Gretnabikes, where I ordered the light from, has outstanding customer service. There was a slight niggle in my order and they were extremely quick and pleasant as they remedied the issue. A real pleasure to deal with.

Overall: this is one expensive piece of kit. However, you get what you pay for and this light is designed for really rough use and should not crap out on me in the rain, snow and mud. It is simple to use, casts a frightfully bright diffused flood that's as close to being the perfect "all-around" light I could conceive of. Gretnabikes are excellent to deal with. My only issue with the light is that the power cable leading from the lamp gets in the way of some adjustments of the lamp up and down. Not a major thing.

I'll get some pictures up once I have more time.

Best,

Chris

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your new headlamp. The Piko is a great headlamp and Gretabikes are great to deal with.

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
Thanks and yes, I would buy from Gretnabikes again in a heartbeat. Amazing customer service. I've taken pix of the Piko for a review, but have not had time yet to get in the timed exposures of the Piko casting its beam at night. As soon as I do, I'll post with pix. Its an amazing light, very powerful, barely there its so light. It does, however, get incredibly hot on the highest setting.

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
Congratulations! I, too, have had nothing but good experiences with Gretna. I have the 700(?) lumen version of the Piko and it's already plenty bright. On one recent group night bike ride at a local park, some participants exclaimed at how bright the Piko was. How's the new Smartcore battery working out? The battery mounting system design is pretty cool!

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
The Smartcore batteries are definately worth the extra $40 or so. The Smartcores have a digital readout on the back of the battery, so you can see the remaining battery power in measurements of 20%; 0-20-40-60-80-100. I really like the feature of being able to know what my remaining battery life is, so I can switch out before I start to damage the LiOn battery. The Piko does have a failsafe built into it, whereby the light will flash when the battery is nearing depletion, and the blue on/off switch will flash red. However, trying to remember the interpretation of flashes is to me a bother; the quick digital readout on the battery gives me all the info I need. Plus, you can activate the red digital readout to stay lit, so the back of your head now has a red safety light, for cycling or outdoors work where the added visibility is needed.

In fact, this light is so bright that the normal pollen and moisture particles in the air almost become a distraction, as they are so brightly illuminated when the light is on at full 900 lumes power.

As I say, I plan to get outside this weekend and try and get the beamshots in comparison with my Eagletac G25C2 as a baseline.

Best,

Chris

grnamin

Enlightened
I ended up ordering the new headband with battery bracket plus 2 Smartcore batteries to retrofit my Piko from Gretna. Arrived just in time for Sandy. :)

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
And in fact, I still found I wanted more brightness, so I returned my Piko X to Gretna for a Wilma, which is last year's model, but rated at 1500 actual lumens, with longer run time owing to a larger battery setup. Once that all arrives, I would like to take some timed exposures of some beam shots. You'll really like the Smartcore batteries; nothing like having a fuel gauge on a battery!

grnamin

Enlightened
The Smartcore is awesome! Got to use it post Sandy and belated trick or treat last Saturday. Only thing I wish Lupine would do is redesign the battery holder. The battery pops out too easily. I cut an old inner tube so that it acts as a large rubber band, securing the battery onto the bracket better.

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
I would agree. It does snap in, but there's no real retention; if you're riding or out in the woods at night and take a tumble, the batt can easily come out, but would be held to the assembly by the very strong, water tight connection. Anyways, UPS shipping shows that my Piko arrived today at Gretna so I really look forward to getting the Wilma. If I can, I'll use it for some very late season walleye fishing before I put the boat up on blocks for the winter.