Maglite mini 2AAA undervoltage lockout?

sbslider

Enlightened
I recently purchased the subject light, SP32016. I performed a run time test with eneloops today, and noticed around 3 hours the light started flashing. I was not paying close attention to the brightness, but it did not seem that it had dimmed much if any compared to fresh batteries. When I removed the batteries they were both slightly above 1.0V and rising, so they were obviously done.

I assumed the light would not be well regulated, but perhaps it is, and has some sort of under voltage lockout that I ran up against
? I tried searching but so far have not come up with any one that suggests either of my assumptions is correct. Any help appreciated.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does that sometimes when the batteries die, not sure exactly what causes the blinking...could be that the dead batts don't have enough power to run the LED/circuitry and briefly turns off and with the load off the cells their Voltage rebounds and briefly power the LED before blinking off again.

sbslider

Enlightened
I suspect you are right. I have an email into Maglite to see what they say about it as well.

I measured the tailcap current with several pairs of batteries at different voltages and I would say it appears that it does not appear to regulate. The light likely dims as the battery voltage drops.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a regulated light that has a timed step down like most other LED Mags.