Maratac 2 x AA (rev 5) - thoughts?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new 2 x AA flashlight and considering the Maratac (rev 5). Never had a Maratac light, though I know they have been around for some time. It would be cool to hear from other users, especially regarding durability and the tint or if you have any other "I love it" vs "I hate it" notes to share.

Additional information: I have a Fenix LD20 and a Nitecore MT2A. I liked the Finix a lot, but it is pretty old, so I figured I could use an update for brightness/runtime gain's sake and 2 years ago I picked up the Nitecore, but I am not happy with the UI. So currently these two lights are seeing very little use (it is partially because for work I have moved to a headlamp and for EDC I have a smaller light), but I trust a reliable, non-nonsense 2 x AA is out there somewhere :) Is it the Maratac?

Even more additional information: I had an older Quark 2 x AA back in the day, too, it served me really well, but it got, erm, strategically misplaced. I know the brand got kind of relaunched and they in fact have a 2 x AA, but slightly annoyingly it seems like it only comes in a funky slate blue and not black, which I would prefer.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks and have a great day.

GoVegan

Enlightened
I've always liked the look of the Maratac 2AA, but always been put off by the memory mode. I'd like it if it always come on in high (or even always low), just never keen on memory mode. I guess as a single purpose work light where you always want the same brightness then it would work very well, just not so much as an EDC light, IMO.

The Fenix LD20 (R5) is still a great light. Had mine for 10 years now, has taken a beating but still works perfectly and still looks great too. It lives on my dining table in recent years, but I always grab it if going on a long walk down the river or as a thrower for hiking. Great as a travel light in the pack too. A couple of Eneloops and a charger and you're good to go with long runtimes and a bright 180 lumens when needed (turbo runtime is crazy short on alkalines, but this is to be expected from any high output light). One of my most reliable lights, it's survived multiple drops onto concrete from a few meters high, and used while swimming (about 6ft down) and also while snorkeling in sea water. IMO right up with my HDS Clicky and Fenix E01 for reliability, bombproof.
Yeah it's old, but I'd say keep it, and use it. It should be good for any task I can think of.

The Quark 2AA does also come in black BTW.

Last edited:

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input.
I've always liked the look of the Maratac 2AA, but always been put off by the memory mode. I'd like it if it always come on in high (or even always low), just never keen on memory mode.
But can't you actually have just that with the memory mode? Say the light has low-med-high, you always want it to come on high, so in simple memory mode you only have to cycle to high once and it will always come on high. I find this quite useful.
I guess as a single purpose work light where you always want the same brightness then it would work very well, just not so much as an EDC light, IMO.
Not thinking of this as EDC, more like backup light or something you can take on a hike, etc.
The Fenix LD20 (R5) is still a great light. (...) One of my most reliable lights, it's survived multiple drops onto concrete from a few meters high
Same impression here with how durable the design/manufacturing was, although I think the one I have needs a cleaning because it sometimes needs more than one click to turn on.
The Quark 2AA does also come in black BTW.
It is, you're right! I think I missed it the first time. I might give it a go.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Thanks for your input.

But can't you actually have just that with the memory mode? Say the light has low-med-high, you always want it to come on high, so in simple memory mode you only have to cycle to high once and it will always come on high. I find this quite useful.

Not thinking of this as EDC, more like backup light or something you can take on a hike, etc.

Same impression here with how durable the design/manufacturing was, although I think the one I have needs a cleaning because it sometimes needs more than one click to turn on.

It is, you're right! I think I missed it the first time. I might give it a go.
Well yes memory mode means that the flashlight remembers the mode it was in when last turns on, and turns back on in that same mode next time. But that requires the user to also remember what mode you were last using, so if you thought you were last using a low mode, then click the light back on expecting it to be in low, bang, you are now blinded and lost your night vision. Same if you need high in an emergency, click it on expecting it to be in high as you think you turned it off in high earlier, but it comes on in low, then you have to cycle through. For me just the worst type of UI, unless I always use the light for a single application, i.e. a single mode, and stick with it, hence maybe a good work light. For a car mechanic, it would be great I would assume.

Regarding your LD20, if are having issues with the switch, try using needle nose pliers or tweezers to tighten the retainer ring inside the tailcap. Other than giving it a good clean on all contact points, you might want to try contacing Fenix to see if they can recommend a reseller who sells spare switches (it happens and even Surefire or McGizmo switches can and do fail). As that same switch spec was probably used in the newer models too. Or they may be able to repair it if you want to go through the hassle of shipping it to them (worth it in my opinion especially if you get many years of service out of it).

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Well yes memory mode means that the flashlight remembers the mode it was in when last turns on, and turns back on in that same mode next time. But that requires the user to also remember what mode you were last using, so if you thought you were last using a low mode, then click the light back on expecting it to be in low, bang, you are now blinded and lost your night vision. Same if you need high in an emergency, click it on expecting it to be in high as you think you turned it off in high earlier, but it comes on in low, then you have to cycle through. For me just the worst type of UI, unless I always use the light for a single application, i.e. a single mode, and stick with it, hence maybe a good work light. For a car mechanic, it would be great I would assume.
Ah, understood - that makes sense! In my case the lights are I would say 99% in single application scenario (and when they are not, it's not a mission critical problem to change the setting).
Regarding your LD20, if are having issues with the switch, try using needle nose pliers or tweezers to tighten the retainer ring inside the tailcap. Other than giving it a good clean on all contact points, you might want to try contacing Fenix to see if they can recommend a reseller who sells spare switches (it happens and even Surefire or McGizmo switches can and do fail). As that same switch spec was probably used in the newer models too. Or they may be able to repair it if you want to go through the hassle of shipping it to them (worth it in my opinion especially if you get many years of service out of it).
I think the tailcap actually changed between now and the current models (makes sense - 10 years!), but I totally forgot about the tweezer twist treatment on the spring retainer. I do remember doing it on an LD10 I briefly had (good light, though I sold it to another forum member), so I'll start there and see how it goes.

WJA

Newly Enlightened
I carried a Maratac 1xAAA on my keychain for a couple years forever ago. Bright and inexpensive, but like GoVegan said the memory was really annoying. Or maybe they did a med-high-low or some other weird sequence. I had a big handful of these, and giving them all away made my life better.

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the Malkoff MDC HA 2AA? I bought one when I couldn't find a reasonably priced Surefire outdoorsman 2AA. I absolutely love the Malkoff, it is the definition of no-nonsense.

Mundo472

Newly Enlightened
Have had a few of the aaa Maratac (copper after the Covid breakout as it is antibacterial, stainless. 2 for my dad after he lost his first copper) Tiny. Bright as hell. (Like a Rolls Royce acceleration- it is always adequate) Perfect machining. Work great with quality rechargeables (with voltages closer to alkaline but it voids your warranty). Also, I dropped my stainless out of my pocket on bike commute. 2 days later i found it on a side street, having been run-over. After extracting the battery and reshaping the body it was back on the job. Killer.