Maratac LEP DX Reach

nollij

Newly Enlightened
Saw this on the CountyComm website natch.. wondering if anyone has one of the limited few they produced. Considering it as a long range thrower for work.

This looks like a Lumintop Thor 1 with an 18650 tube. Maratac rarely designs any of the lights or knives from the ground up. The products are essentially dealer exclusives of common brands such as Lumintop, Boker, etc. Maratac's version usually means more knurling, shredded carbon fiber, and other aesthetic adjustments.

Using an LEP as a thrower can be of limited utility as it has zero spill. I've owned four of different sizes and varieties and learned they are not necessarily practical. The really powerful ones throw so far, in order to see what you're lighting up, you'll need binoculars.

mpetry912

Newly Enlightened
the point source beam pattern is impressive but the extremely bright hot spot will ruin your nite vision and reduce search capability for anything not in the beam.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly the CountyComm version of this light is long sold out and gone.

Mike F

Newly Enlightened
Saw this on the CountyComm website natch.. wondering if anyone has one of the limited few they produced. Considering it as a long range thrower for work.
I picked up a rev 2 and love it but now I have to sell it unfortunately

Mike F

Newly Enlightened
LEP DX rev 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 117

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^ Truths.. Even for weapon mount, a little spill is desirable.
Yep, usually a lot if you're doing room clearing. I remember back how when the KL4 was a popular head with the Luxeon 5. Even though it had a bit of a donut ring sometimes, it gave off room filling light. The Surefire P61 and P91 were similar in the spill beam. No donut ring though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I literally haven't seen anyone weapon-mount a dedicated Thrower.
That side-spill is a necessity.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I literally haven't seen anyone weapon-mount a dedicated Thrower.
That side-spill is a necessity.
Maybe on a Barrett .50BMG or the like with some serious range, but I imagine most people using one of those aren't interested in lighting things up more than necessary; but perhaps for that last second sight picture before squeezing the 'loud' button:)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand. Tint cold as ice. Looks the same as all the rest of them. Everytime a new one is released it's the same thing. I can't get excited over them until they start some improvements instead of different companies releasing the same thing in a different body over and over and over.