Marketplace use way down

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Semantics? Really? Alrighty then……

Times have changed in 15 years and the market aint what it used to be. Flashlights have become like the home computer. Everybody that wants one has one and the decline in the market shows that.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I agree with this. Those of us that have been into this for awhile have most lights we're looking for. Now it seems I buy a new light because I just want it. Just got a peak light off of the marketplace because I don't have one like it and want to check it out. Nowadays I'm just in the market for lights I could never afford when they first came out but now I can.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read all the whining in this thread and paid the $15 for a YEARLY subscription.

$15. Really? If you're complaining about the "cost" to sell a single light, 1. There is a $5.99 31 day option, or 2. Sell your cheap light elsewhere. Perhaps BLF - where they thrive on the $15 stuff - is the more apropos place.

I personally feel like my $0.04 daily investment for the next year is worth all the info I've gathered over the last ~15 years.

YMClearlyWillV.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
"... ... ...I personally feel like my $0.04 daily investment for the next year is worth all the info I've gathered over the last ~15 years. .... ... ... ... "
I couldn't have said it better myself. I have never sold a flashlight, but I have bought 51 real performance lights. I had to absorb lots and lots of information each time I bought one.

--------------------

1. First Level 1, 6 months: Late April 2016 (mailed April 26th) to late October 2016.

2. Second Level 1, six months: Start Date: 11-02-2016. Expiry Date: 05-02-2017

3. First Level 3, 3 months: Start Date: 04-14-2017. Expiry Date: 08-02-2017

4. Second Level 3, 3 months: Start Aug 2, 2017, end Nov. 2, 2017.

5. First level 2: 6 months, Start Date 08-01-19. Expiry Date 02-02-2020.

6. Second Level 2, Feb 2, 2020 -> July 31, 2020.

7. Third Level 3. Start Date 07-27-2020. Expiry Date 01-23-2021.

8. Level Two, Start date: Feb 3, 2021. expires May 4, 2021.

9. Level Two, Start date: May 4, 2021. expires Aug 2, 2021.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Semantics. Cannot sell unless a supporter, cannot support without paying, therefore a sellers fee. If ownership wants higher usage of the marketplace, they need have all the information they need in this thread.

Let's not forget the intent of this site is to make money for the ownership. Its not a charity; not a crowdfunded not-for-profit; and not the out-of-pocket vanity project for a wealthy person.

The steady decline I have observed over the 15 years I've been a member had a lot to do with the business model of the previous ownership. Perhaps the new ownership can look into different ways to do business. In the past the mere mention of "competing" forums was ban worthy; perhaps the new owner could spend some time on the others and learn from them instead of being so insular.

Great post.

snip .....

There is a $5.99 31 day option

^ The new $5.99 / 31 day option is Jelly responding to members. Well done, Jelly!

I personally feel like my $0.04 daily investment for the next year is worth all the info I've gathered over the last ~15 years.

^ This is wacbzz putting my thoughts to computer screen. Well done, wacbzz!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done, Owner/Operator, for offering $6 to get a one month option. Hopefully more people will think about what we get out of candlepowerforums, both as an individual and a group. Is it worth more than a dollar a month to you?

Do you agree that member input here helps to advance portable illumination? Do you get a laugh once in awhile, or maybe a moment of heartfelt gratitude? Do you get to put forth a strong argument about a belief? Do you vent your anger sometimes? Money helps keep the ship sailing, and you can feel good about being a part of that. Then, if you ever get the urge to sell one of your lighting tools, it's free, because you already chose to contribute a small amount of money to our community.

mpetry912

Newly Enlightened
yes I think the combination of social media groups and the fact that you can get "good enough" lights for $12 - $15 bucks has contributed to the lack of participation here.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personal experience: just sold a 7C on fleabay. Their fees cut into my net, but the service is solid, so I was happy with it. Even though rare mags are a slightly rarefied market, I managed to reach the right buyer within a day.

When the BST here went to paid/supported/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, it simply fell off my radar as a place to sell stuff. The downward spiral of fewer sellers > fewer buyers > fewer sellers makes it even less attractive than it was a few years ago.
Pretty much this

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Personal experience: just sold a 7C on fleabay. Their fees cut into my net, but the service is solid, so I was happy with it. Even though rare mags are a slightly rarefied market, I managed to reach the right buyer within a day.

When the BST here went to paid/supported/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, it simply fell off my radar as a place to sell stuff. The downward spiral of fewer sellers > fewer buyers > fewer sellers makes it even less attractive than it was a few years ago.
Discovery and search on the bay is atrocious, I just missed out on this rare Mag... might've paid more for it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I just bought two lights within a week here on market place.Didn't even want them. Just trying to help out😂

borrower

Enlightened
Discovery and search on the bay is atrocious, I just missed out on this rare Mag... might've paid more for it.
Agree about the search thing… I sold another through auction a couple of years ago (as opposed to fixed price), and the outcome was okay but not what I'd expected/hoped for.

Keep in touch, though. There are more.

OwenM

Newly Enlightened
Kinda hard to use the marketplace when your threads won't post, and/or disappear for hours "awaiting approval" when you edit.