Maxa beam connector type?

jonathandowers

Newly Enlightened
I've been restoring a well used Maxabeam on the budget, and was wondering that the power connector is called, and where I could get one. Is it proprietary, or is there a generic name for it?

BVH

Flashaholic
The easiest way is to contact Annie at Peakbeam systems. They have a kit that includes the fitting and pins. I was able to find some pieces but not all when I hunted at Mouser, Digi-key, Newark and Allied. Let her know you're from CPF. Might be a discount.

annie [at] peakbeam {dot} com

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for the connectors when i first got my Maxabeam too (i still havent bought any) and did some digging

the following is a post i made in my "finally got a Maxabeam" thread - i cant be certain the numbers are correct, but i think they are right

I had a look at the plugs today, and spent a bit of time at the TE connectivity site
I'm fairly sure I have this right, but take no responsibility if you order these part numbers and they don't fit (I will order some in the next few weeks, and ensure they fit before saying they will fit)

The connector on the battery end of the power lead is marked 206429-1 which is a size 11/4 cpc connector
From that I was able to determine it fits The battery box connector which is 211102-1
The other end is the opposite gender so they are as follows
Spotlight connector is 206061-1
And the spotlight end of the power lead is 206060-1

Both ends of the power lead need a backshell 1-206062-3

Now I just need to get the right part numbers for the pins and sockets inside the connectors

I just need to get a battery pack and charger, then build a box
I have the feeling this is the top of a slippery slope into super lights and building packs

CKOD then replied
Your part numbers look good, but both 206430-1 and 211102-1 are the same thing, but the last one has threaded inserts, so you could use a machine screw without a nut. If you are planning on using a nut and bolt, use the first number for the panel mount on the battery box. Slight difference, not a show stopper either way.

For pins, you could use 66099-4, 66099-3, or 66099-1. Those are all either selective gold or full gold plated which helps it resist oxidization vs the bright tin contacts.

For sockets, 66101-3 or 66101-4 are both good. They are all crimp pins and sockets, but like I said, its not a problem to solder to them and still stuff them into the housing anyway

They have a high current contact which is rated at 25A instead of 13A, (rating for a single connection, you cant actually do a whole connector with each pole passing 13 or 25A )
pins : 1-66361-4 sockets: 1-66360-4

They have ones meant for soldering also, unsure if those would be as available as the crimp ones or not, but the part numbers are 66180-1 for pins, 66181-1 for solder sockets.

Your part number for the backshell looks like the right thing, even though its not in the catalog ( :ironic: )
1-206062-4 is what they have listed, and may give different results on various stock house websites.

For those that want to play around. 1546347-2 is a right angle backshell that can be used. 207490-1 is a cable grip which screws onto the connector, and 207489-1 is a cable boot which goes over the cable grip to make a strain relieved and nicer looking backshell.

Though none of these are water proof or water resistant as they come from the factory, so if you want to do so, some neutral cure RTV silicone (not acid cure, that will corrode the contacts!) may be in order. "Sensor safe" RTV from the auto parts shop would work.

the Whole thread is here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320594-Finally-got-a-Maxabeam

failing that, Peak Beam Systems are great to deal with, and will be able to answer any questions you have (and supply or fit parts if you need them)

Last edited:

jonathandowers

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for the connectors when i first got my Maxabeam too (i still havent bought any) and did some digging

the following is a post i made in my "finally got a Maxabeam" thread - i cant be certain the numbers are correct, but i think they are right

CKOD then replied

the Whole thread is here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320594-Finally-got-a-Maxabeam

failing that, Peak Beam Systems are great to deal with, and will be able to answer any questions you have (and supply or fit parts if you need them)

Thank you! :)