MR 16 LED fixed lighting challenges

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run into an interesting challenge with LED light bulbs.

My daughter has some very nice Soraa LED bulbs in her apartment and would like to CCT match some that are 2 different ones.

As it turns out, CA added some extra rules on what bulbs are allowed to be sold and has banned these higher quality spectrum bulbs to be sold to consumers here. Not only did they change the specs - but now they have to go through an expensive third party certification - and will end up with poor quality light output.

Am I the only person who is kind of appalled by this?

Harry

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not think of a singe good thing California did in the last 10-15 years. I'm pretty sure lots of people are appalled by what Cali regime does.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not think of a singe good thing California did in the last 10-15 years. I'm pretty sure lots of people are appalled by what Cali regime does.
If you think that is bad people move from Cali to other states such as Colorado and try to make them just like CA ruining them in the process.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that is also a huge issue, just more proof nothing good happens or comes out of Cali. lol

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inconvenient that it may be, can you just order something suitable from outside CA, or are the rules such that they restrict usage regardless of source, and can they actually enforce it?

Glad to live in a place where some reason sometimes prevails. Provincial government tried to ban (most) incandescents years ago, but I still see ordinary bulbs for sale in various stores. Sometimes the market can sort things out, given the advantages of LED bulbs.

Dave

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inconvenient that it may be, can you just order something suitable from outside CA, or are the rules such that they restrict usage regardless of source, and can they actually enforce it?

Glad to live in a place where some reason sometimes prevails. Provincial government tried to ban (most) incandescents years ago, but I still see ordinary bulbs for sale in various stores. Sometimes the market can sort things out, given the advantages of LED bulbs.

Dave

I should check back more often.

It turns out that the web sites are all fancy enough that they detect what state you are in and the fines are so high that no one will even display the products of interest.

I have family in other states and you would think that they would be happy to buy stuff for me and ship it to me, but they are so straight laced that they imagine in their minds that it is like drug running so won't help.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Ikea have anything suitable (assuming they sell light bulbs in CA)? They are right up there in efficacy, most I've seen are at least 100 lumens/W, many higher.

Can someone briefly summarize the CA restrictions, down this line? Is it actually an offense to ship/carry a non-compliant light across the state line?

Dave

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
CA legal lights: No more than 10 lumens and 10 minutes runtime. If you have a multicell light you need to only use one battery the rest of the tube or battery holder has to have dummy cells permanently attached. You have to have a lock on the switch to keep unauthorised users such as children or other prohibited people from using it. You may not pocket carry it in can only be carried in a tool bag or in a flap pouch on your belt visible to the public. No length past 3.5 inches. No metal body construction only polymer. When not in use the light has to be locked in a CA approved safe that is Prop 65 complaint. Batteries have to be kept seperate in a fireproof lock box.

If you have a metal bodied light that you possessed before 1998 you may keep it but it cannot be transferred and needs handed in for destruction when you pass way.