Need help building a 12volt timer.

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
I'm tring to build a 12v relay that will wait 5 seconds before activating once recieving 12volts. I'll need to build 3 of these, and the best I can do is 8pin octagon pin cube relays that run 80 bucks apiece. I'm just tring to build a delay into my headlights so its not so hard on the bulbs in the winter. My DRL's kick the headlights on instantly after starting, But when it gets cold, They strobe because the alternator won't kick in for a few seconds. I'm going to build a bypass into the DRL sensor so it thinks its daylight for 5 seconds or so while the electrical system stabilizes. Then the relay will trip allowing the DRL's to see the true voltage from the sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

reptiles

Enlightened
I'd just go with a commercial "delay on make" such as NCC's Q1T00060346. I use one in my car to delay the activation of my audio system until after the engine starts (and the voltage drop and spikes, subside.)

Here are the specs: https://www.relayspec.com/catalogs/020050/Q1T-series.pdf

Google shopping has them around the net for about $28 ea. They are adjustable for 3 seconds to 60 secs. IIRC

Regards,

Mark