New 3.7V constant voltage Lithium-Ion from EBL.... :(

chaosdsm

Enlightened
So I ran across this battery from EBL 18J Lithium Ion rechargeable 18650 3000mAh / 11,100mWh with 3.7V constant voltage output.

Seriously, check out this graphic found on their official website 7 days ago (but since replaced) o_O
o1tdiSWl.jpg

Now I KNOW this is all too good to be true.... UNLESS .... This is obviously made with some sort of reverse engineered :alien: technology.... or they're only testing with like a 0.01A parasitic drain....... Cannot find anything on how they came up with their specs for this battery btw...

Sometime in the last 5 days, EBL replaced all the website graphics from the dark background to a light blue background.... though Amazon still shows the original graphics.

Gone is the spiffy straight line graph with an almost perfect drop at 0.1% capacity... but still claiming 3.7V constant voltage discharge in the new graphic.
rjrsXFJl.jpg

Would be a heck of a deal if they lived up to the hype at about $9 each..... so I decided to check them out for myself.

Interesting note: batteries say... well, see for yourself:
69Fdegz.png

"Can only be charged by compatible EBL USB cable" :devilish:
"pre-charged battery"... one was, one was not. Using a 30W USB fast phone charger that I use with my Xtar VC4SL charger, and the included Y split USB micro charging cable, one of them took about 4 minutes for the LED to change to blue indicating fully charged, the other one took about an hour and ten minutes +/- 2 minutes

Also, this is supposed to charge by USB-C according to the NEW graphic.... though the old graphic clearly showed batteries with Micro USB ports like I received.

Sadly.... Even at just 0.2A discharge, it's failing miserably.

k9ir8Kv.png

And how about this graph.... WAIT A MINUTE.... that's not a laser straight line at 3.7V......

3LI5moG.png

EDIT: I only discharged to 3.0V, but only showed 1964mAh discharge capacity, no where near the claimed 3000mAh:mad:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
EBL are basically fake cells. I wouldn't but them again regardless of their claims. Also look at that graph and what they're comparing it to. What sell starts at around 3 V and then hold steady at 1.5 V until dead? That's not lithium ion so why are they comparing it against it?

chaosdsm

Enlightened
EBL are basically fake cells. I wouldn't but them again regardless of their claims. Also look at that graph and what they're comparing it to. What sell starts at around 3 V and then hold steady at 1.5 V until dead? That's not lithium ion so why are they comparing it against it?
Weird... I though for sure that I replied to this last night.... EBL are not fake cells, but just like most of the "xxxxxxFire" cells, they are highly counterfeited. I've found their NiMh's (ordered direct from EBL) to be better than many lesser known and store brands, and about the same as Duracell & Energizer, but not nearly as good as Eneloop.

In another update: I ran a 0.5A discharge, and 1.0A discharge test on the two batteries after recharging them. Very odd results.... at 0.5A discharge, first battery ended up showing a discharge capacity of 2397mAh, at 1A discharge, the second battery ended up showing a discharge capacity of 2527mAh.

Anyway, I'm returning for refund .

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weird... I though for sure that I replied to this last night.... EBL are not fake cells, but just like most of the "xxxxxxFire" cells, they are highly counterfeited. I've found their NiMh's (ordered direct from EBL) to be better than many lesser known and store brands, and about the same as Duracell & Energizer, but not nearly as good as Eneloop.

In another update: I ran a 0.5A discharge, and 1.0A discharge test on the two batteries after recharging them. Very odd results.... at 0.5A discharge, first battery ended up showing a discharge capacity of 2397mAh, at 1A discharge, the second battery ended up showing a discharge capacity of 2527mAh.

Anyway, I'm returning for refund .
Interesting. It's been quite a few years. But I bought some AA nimh cells of their. They were labeled as 3000mah. They were more like 200. And they weighed mere grams. so I would definitely never buy them again. Maybe I got fakes so I don't know. I bought them off eBay. But why would you fake a no-name brand?

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Interesting. It's been quite a few years. But I bought some AA nimh cells of their. They were labeled as 3000mah. They were more like 200. And they weighed mere grams. so I would definitely never buy them again. Maybe I got fakes so I don't know. I bought them off eBay. But why would you fake a no-name brand?
EBL is a well known brand in other parts of the world. I bought some in AAAA size because they were all I could find for rechargeable at the time in that size.... they were good enough that I tried some AAA & AA's. Even direct from their own website, they don't live up to the capacity claims. i.e. in my ongoing testing of the Acebeam Pokelit AA and Lumentop Tool 2.0 AA: in turbo mode, my 2 year old 2600mAh Eneloop Pro's average about 35 minutes longer in the Pokelit and 15 minutes longer in the Tool 2.0 verses EBL 2800mAh NiMh's in the same lights.

One things certain... these new batteries are not going to help EBL grow if my sample size is any indication....

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything that has a half decent demand is faked, these could be fake too.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Anything that has a half decent demand is faked, these could be fake too.
Purchased directly from EBL store on Amazon, probably not selling fakes of their own products..... Still to give them the benefit of the doubt.... I also ordered directly from EBL (not arrived yet), but I have a feeling those will be going back too...

Found one Amazon review that shows a photo of an exploded one of these.... looks like an INR18650S-2500mAh is the base cell.... No way to squeeze an extra 500mAh out of one of these...

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Just received the order from the official EBL store.... the batteries look very different, gray wrapper instead of the black, USB-C ports instead of the mini-USB, and these have an LED in the center of the positive terminal. So I'm headed out to the Tenergy T180 to do some discharge curve testing.....

Sadly, I also purchased an 8-pack of their newest 2800mAh NiMH AA batteries.... they won't even charge on my Xtar BC8 8-bay charger. I managed to charge 4 in my SkyRC MC3000, and the other 4 in my Opus C-3100, but.... best capacity I'm seeing out of 8 batteries labeled as "2800mAh" is 2181mAh. Oh, and, there's one that won't charge on the MC3000, charging cut-off due to over temperature.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the order from the official EBL store.... the batteries look very different, gray wrapper instead of the black, USB-C ports instead of the mini-USB, and these have an LED in the center of the positive terminal. So I'm headed out to the Tenergy T180 to do some discharge curve testing.....

Sadly, I also purchased an 8-pack of their newest 2800mAh NiMH AA batteries.... they won't even charge on my Xtar BC8 8-bay charger. I managed to charge 4 in my SkyRC MC3000, and the other 4 in my Opus C-3100, but.... best capacity I'm seeing out of 8 batteries labeled as "2800mAh" is 2181mAh. Oh, and, there's one that won't charge on the MC3000, charging cut-off due to over temperature.
You can lead a horse to water……😁

chaosdsm

Enlightened
You can lead a horse to water……😁
Either EBL aren't what they used to be, or I got really lucky with the first ones I got years ago... Considering that these were purchased directly from the EBL official website, they've used up all their chances with me.

On the 18650's... I also found out that the ones directly from EBL are about 2.5mm shorter at just 66mm, than the ones from the EBL Amazon store, I had to modify my holders for testing because of how short they are. At 0.5A discharge, the graph looks a little better, but nothing like the claim. At 3A discharge.... horrible.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a consideration...
There are cells that are built "totally" and
there aee cells housing an additional charging port somewhere.
which ones obviously bring more "room" for enery storing?
;)